‡ Chapter 32 ‡

*UNEDITED CHAPTER*

**THIS IS NOT THE LAST CHAPTER!!!  TWO MORE LEFT**

“Get the kids to the safety pod,” I ordered. 

Cray took a step up.  “But—”

“Now.”

He clamped his protest and gave a kiss on the cheek, quickly whispering, “Be safe.”  He hustled off with the rest of the kids, not looking back again. 

“Romane,” I said. 

“I’m staying,” he ruthlessly spoke.  There was no way in changing his mind, but it aggrieved Jessie that he could get hurt. 

Levi’s tanned skin was slicked in sweat, dark hair flaring upwards.  His smirk spiked up my fury and I narrowed my gaze at that amused glimmer in his honey eyes.  “Isn’t this cute,” he said.  He pointed between Romane and I.  “Is this…are you guys…dating?  That’s a joke.” 

“Your life is a joke,” I responded coldly.  “Wanting to take over the world?  Really.  How fucking cliché could you get?”

He clucked the root of his mouth, wavering a finger.  “No, no, darling.  Not just take over the world.  We want to cleanse the Earth.  We are making an army to avenge the losses of the battle with the Cold Bloods.  We need to be stronger after that war and the way to do that is to destroy governments and the weak hearted.  We will never lose to Cold Bloods for the Snipers are gods.”      

His voice triggered Jessie’s attention and I felt her trying to surface.  My body jerked, uncontrollably.  My strength levels rose and fell, rose and fell.  I was weak, then powerful.  Weak.  Powerful.

Frightened, he made a motion to his gun and I retracted the 212, but he fired at my hand, the shock causing the 212 to slip from my flimsy fingers.  I thrust the cry down my throat and dove behind fallen ceiling pieces, tumbling to a stop. 

Romane must’ve dove the other direction, it just the smoke and I temporarily safe.  “Why make this game so difficult, Jessie?” Levi sighed.  His footsteps gained closer, and I knew he was smiling as he whistled a tune.  I snatched a piece of hot metal, and rested my head back, listening to how close he was by his footsteps.  “I knew this game would be fun but I didn’t know you’d make it easy—”

I rolled out, throwing the metal and watched as it sliced the air fast and true, until Levi blasted a bullet straight into the piece, shattering it before scratching his face. 

He aimed it at me and I stared grimly, wide open in the room. 

“C’mon, Levi,” Romane said.  I looked over to find him raising his arms, softly glancing at the Sniper.  “How about we settle this like real men.  No weapons.” 

Levi placed his finger to his chin.  “Hmm….That does sound like fun.”  Then he shook his head.  “Nah.”  Then he directed the gun at my forehead.  “Romane, if you move, she dies.  But this time, I’m not lying.  It’s going to fucking happen.”  Jessie’s parts were leaking into my system, and I grew weak again, fear pricking my skin.  “What Romane told you was true.  All of it.  Except that we are the villains.  The Snipers are the good guys; wanting to give those that failed another chance.  Ruling the world is just a bonus.”

“To seek revenge,” I said sharply.  “Selling uncontrollable drugs to the criminal world, creating mutants and testing chemicals on children is what good guys do?” 

“It’s for a good reason.” 

I wrote a dark expression.  “More like a shitty reason.  Tell me, did your parents drop you when you were a baby or were you just born fucking stupid?”