‡ Chapter 27 ‡

Don’t shut down, Jess.  Not again. 

‘You’re back?’

Of course, dumbass

‘I thought I got rid of you.’

The monster only hides, never dies.

The demon travelled up my throat, dividing into the head and out my mouth.  Romane still held me in the lab room, his face cradled between my neck.  The monster inside blasted at full force and my eyes broke open, spine snapping upright as I rose with a large gasp. 

Romane jerked in surprise and his thumb flew under my cheekbone, stroking the skin.  “I’m surprised you didn’t faint like last time,” he chuckled.

I smiled back, it good to have control over my breakdowns for once.   “Times have changed,” I whispered.

“Times have changed,” he responded softly. 

“Ahem.”  Cray moved his hands around for an answer.  “So...is this whole flesh eating demon attacks, end of the rainbow kind of gold golden guns, fainting, waking up, and sappy romance thing normal?”  We gave him a bland look.  “What?  I’m serious.” 

The tips of my mouth curved inwards.   “You’re never serious.”

He waved his hand past his shoulder and blew his lips.  “Pfft.  Obviously.  Me?  Serious?  Best joke of the year.  But is this normal?  Because if it is, you should have told me to bring the fucking bazooka!”

“Bazooka?” I said dryly. 

“Bazooka.”

“Shall we stop this repeating thing?” asked Romane though it was more of an order.  He turned to me and his nose scrunched.  “Golden gun.  Jess...”  He reached for the 212 in my limp hand but my fingers curled around it.  “Where did you get that?”

“I had it with me at the bridge, before I arrived at Eagles,” I lied smoothly. 

But I was glass to him.  “No you didn’t.  Jess.  Where did you get that?”  I tried wriggling out of his arms yet they were steel, tightening the more I squirmed.  “Wildcat.” 

“You know you should stop calling me that,” I spoke under a hush.  I looked around, pretending to care if others were around.  “It sounds kinda kinky.   Plus, people are getting the wrong message.  They think you’re Troy Bolton.”  

“Who?”

Cray’s mental gasp was identical to mine.  “What?!  You’ve never watched High School Musical?!” our voices cried. 

“High School...Musical?”  Amusement died in his face.  “You’re fucking kidding right?  What kind of shitty movie is called High School Musical?!”

“’Kay, we’re done here.”  I lifted my palm.  “Talk to the hand.” 

Cray did the sassy snap and swerved his head.  “You tell him, Gabriella.”

“No.  Just no.”  Romane pointed to the door.  “Cray, get the Eagles out of here and wait in the helicopter.” 

“But sir, we’re all in this together—”

“No.  Out.” 

Cray made a childish pout and shoved two fingers in his mouth, making a sharp whistle.  “Eagles.”  All men halted.  “The leader instructed an evacuation of the area.”  Not hesitating, they lined up behind Cray as he ordered and quietly slid out.  “Eagles out!”  Yet I heard Cray’s faint voice singing, “We’re soooooarring, flyyiinnnggg...”