‡ Chapter 30 ‡

Not edited

*Casper is Levi's second in command. Second highest position in Snipers.*

+++

Heaven and hell. Opposite poles of Earth, where sins were weighed and goodness was measured. If a man was fit enough to live in the land of angels

or demons

so they say.

What if a man was both? Half of madness and half of sanity? When they didn't fit into any category?

When that happens,

it's because they are not ready.

Because they have unfinished business to attend.

+++

I could see it. The light. Your life was supposed to flash before your eyes, right after you whisper those final last words.

I hardly remembered my last words.

It's true though. Familiar faces clicked like a photo slide; Isaac's gaze lost in the clouds, my parents slamming the door after an exhausting work shift, Snapback's Macklemore coat, Casper's wink at the bridge, Vamp's sparkling teeth, Pale Beauty tossing the airplane, Cray's childish laughter, Levi's honey eyes swirling of amusement, Romane's smile.

I watched her stretch her arm. A hair away from the white light. Freedom lightly danced across her fingers, sunlight warming her hands. She could hear them, telling her to come. Invite her to a place where she wouldn't have to stress or worry. A land of peace. It would all end if she moved a tad closer.

She was Jessie.

Then black nails reached into her spine, latching onto the soft skin to tear her down. The angel's ears couldn't catch onto her scream. She clawed at the white light, it getting farther and farther as she went

lower

and

lower.

She was Jessie.

But I wasn't Jessie anymore.

I wasn't Jess.

I wasn't a Sniper.

I wasn't an Eagle.

Little did I know, I was soon to discover who I really was.

Dark clouds swallowed the light, it shortly diving towards me. It blurred my vision. My conscious was a mess. A sharp ring mentally bled my ears and it was impossible to moan under such pain.

Voices joined the high pitched ring. "She was a good lap dog." Casper.

"She was never a dog." Romane.

"Say as you wish." Feet shuffled. "She is an animal. She isn't like us. You and I cannot argue on that matter."

The dark clouds I soon learned were smoke. Romane. "You speak of as if you don't know what an animal is. Attack the weak for survival. Will kill to feed the starved; those who starve for greed and revenge. Selfish and inconsiderate when crowning territory. We are all animals."

"No. Snipers are no animals. Animals are wild and do not concern other species like you. You treat your gang as if you're the only significant part of the group. Us Snipers have control and consider other species. We give our people wealth, our stocks are rising, common criminals are doing well, because Snipers are on the top. We attack, kill, and crown our territory not foolishly, but wisely; our actions are to balance the economy. Don't you see? If we are the leading gang, we have proven ourselves to be capable of pleasing others."

"You talk of nonsense. You keep listing your own sins, hypocrite."

"Listen. People want a leader who can help the people, be better and improved people. We can make that happen with our gifts. In return for the gift, they will honor the Snipers and will forever be in our gratitude."

"No one is stupid enough to trust the Snipers."

Casper began, "The people-"

"Who are the people? Imaginative figures from your dreams?"

"Criminals, fugitives, mankind that seek to avenge themselves. Our gifts improve their human skills substantially. The government won't stand a chance next to, basically, mutants. The continent is already full of sinful creatures. They just need a chance-a weapon, and the rest will follow."

"You plan on taking over Asia? The world? You're insane. That would never work. There are too many errors and what if others get a hand on this magical gift? There would be no one to keep the drug sales contained."

"When the people realize we are the only suppliers, the Snipers will be the top gang. Criminals will come begging for more of the drug since the douses would be temporary. With the rate we're going at, our research is helping us control the strengths and powers in the skills. Why do you think we have a strong trust circle? The Snipers are family. We form a bond and swear to never leak information or share secrets."

"Impossible."

Casper flicked the denials like flies. "We are very close to completing the drug. That animal was a simple leak." A pause. "But she's now taken care of." Another pause.

More feet shuffle.

Casper said quietly, "Levi actually liked her, you know. Briefly."

Long silence rested above my body. Romane was talking. "He lied to her, used her, and whipped her-abused really. If he ever did, it would last a minute."

"Do you love her?"

I didn't want to hear it. I didn't want this knowledge about emotions. I didn't want Casper to know Romane's weakness. Romane was to be safe. The monster knew that. Even though I wasn't Jessie, her old memories were faint and scattered.

My vision heightened and I zoned onto how far Casper was. Calculations falling into place, my system was flowing with cold chills and vibrating nerves. The pop of the bullet caused both men to turn around.

But when their eyes landed, nothing was there. I was behind Casper in seconds.

I fastened my nails into his head, feeling his brain bit by bit crush under my hands and his screams dragging with the burning pain. My teeth nibbled on his ear and my breath came out hot, "Now Casper, I don't think a dog can do this." I twisted his head with a quick snap.

‡‡‡

Please leave good feedback about this book when commenting.

What you like about it, why you continue to read, what you don't like about it, your responses to the story. Long comments are appreciated :) I don't see the point to the gibberish letters. But I do appreciate the comments, so thank you.

The 300 movie is a masterpiece

My new wattpad book review is to the side --> It's a great read worthy kind of read that deserves more attention!

GOAL:

500 votes

Xoxo

j_street