‡ Chapter 31 ‡

*Not-edited chapter. Hope this chapter also clear up confusion!*

“Jessie?”

My voice comes out like a slither.  “Who?” 

“Jessie,” he repeats, hope flickering at the tip of his tongue. 

“Jessie isn’t the central conscious anymore,” I stated.  My heart turned into mush at how adorable it was to see a man so confused.  “We’ve swapped places, dear Jessie and I.  I now control this body for it is mine.  Jessie’s state was too weak to heal herself by Casper’s bullet and I decided to overtake her body before she died.”

His mind caught on and I held back the choice of applauding.  He asked, “In exchange for Jessie’s survival, you had to possess her body to strengthen it, giving it enough time to heal?”

I clapped my hands anyways.  “Well done.  Besides, I seek revenge on this young fellow.”  I snapped my fingers, my gaze wondering the air for the answer.  “I know my dear Jessie was struggling with this man.  You see his name on people’s ass.”

“Levi?”

“Yes!  I knew he was named after a jean brand.  His name on everyone’s pants.” 

Romane measured me up, displaying a funny look.  “Youre the alter ego Jessie has been failing to hide?” 

I did a little curtsy.  “Yes, I am.  I’m Jessie’s alter ego, not at your fucking service.”  I offered a sparkling smile which was returned with Romane’s bewildered stare. 

Then worry spread across his face but he abruptly shook it off.  He called for the children and they scurried into the hallway.  Tears welled in some eyes at the sight of Casper laying dead and others flinched before ripping away.  “What’s wrong kids?” I piped.  “Never seen a dead guy?” 

A young girl bravely strutted up to me, bald headed with a torn white gown, and asked in a strong voice, “Where’s Jessie?”

I did a little nudge on her cheek.  “Hakuna Matata.  She’s still here.  Weak, feels like shit and nearly dead, but she’s still here.”

“You guys…switched spots,” Romane said, amazed. 

I flicked off a dried up blood crumb on my nails.  “Like I was previously, Jessie is ‘in the closet’, hidden.  She can only surface when I want her to.  It’ll take a while until she recovers and is able to surface—the amount of energy needed to control the system is a shit-ton.  Why’d you think she was always ready to faint after we switched spots?”

“I…I don’t know,” he spoke.  He was dazed, unable to wrap his head around the concept. 

I ruffled his hair and slapped the side of his head.  “Don’t let those blond streaks get to your brain.” 

“What are you guys still doing here?” a voice said.  He hacked a nasty cough and entered the hall, black smoke clung to his face. 

“You’re the guy with butterfly slippers,” I pointed out.  Black hair pointing in all directions, blood was splattered across his body and his boots dragged along the floor. 

Cray literally grabbed Romane’s shoulders, shaking them frantically.  “We need to get off this ship.  The second last engine could explode any second now!”  The ship made a violent jerk and Cray lugged several kids with him as he ran down the hall.  Doing the same, I could suddenly see the fastest way out and led the gang.  We zigzagged through the narrow halls, the smell of metal burning filled my nose.  Two rooms down were the safety pods and I was now sprinting, the two kids wrapped around my neck clutching tighter.  Flames erupted and a metal bar dropped an inch from my shoulder.  The air was thick and the children wouldn’t stop coughing.    

Suddenly a strong feeling smacked my senses and I dug my heels to stop.  I saw him emerge out of the smoke, eyes devilishly gleaming.  A gun rested in his hand.       

“Levi.” 

+++

This book will be finished on Monday and the next chapter will be updated tomorrow (that’s why this chapter is short and crappy)!! 

Random a/n part: add me on snapchat and I’ll add you back! Mine is @freshazian 

Please vote & comment! Relieved Vamp was dead? Cray was alive? Is Levi going to kill anyone?  Is someone going to die in the next chapter?

If someone HAD to die, who would it be? 

Will everyone live?

Xoxo

j_street