‡ Chapter 29 ‡

“Get the children out of here!”

“C’mon, kids.”  I braced my arms, huddling the group towards the door.  Our feet stumbled as the floor trembled, lights now crazily flickering.  I ushered them out, Romane ordering passing Eagles to initiate emergency plans. 

An Eagle ripped around a corner and was screaming nonsense, arms flailing.  “Sir!”  He skidded to a halt and panted to Romane, “The...engine....engine is too damaged to be fixed.  It won’t be long before we start—”

Flames burst from the end of the hallway, and I shoved the kids back into the room, the scorching heat skimming my shoulders as my foot kicked the door shut.  Using my body to shield them, I waited until the roaring crackles of fire simmered down and lifted my head.  Panic kicked my heart to a stop.  “Romane,” I cried. 

“Here,” he rasped under a coarse voice.  I turned and immediately rested my hand on top of his, my heart rate relaxed.  “The children need to get off this plane.” 

I squeezed his hand and said, “If you say some ‘The Captain must go down with his ship’ kind of bull, I will throw you into that fire myself.” 

He wheezed a chuckle and clutched his chest, starting to violently cough.  Smoke leaked through the door, and I released his hand, grabbing the bed sheets.  I quickly rushed into the bathroom, soaked the blankets and stuffed it under the door, my sweat building when shoving it deeper.  “We can’t stay here for long,” I said.  “Are there any other ways to get out of the nursing room?” 

The ground continued to tremble, his voice shaking, “N-No.  The room was constructed to k-keep the people in and everything else out.  It wasn’t designed to have an escape route in case of attackers.” 

Pale Beauty brought her finger to her head, murmuring chants.  Then she opened her eyes, and ran to the wall, looking at me.  “Here.  Pass this wall is the lobby.  If we stay to the right, the emergency pods can safely bring us off the ship.”  Romane and I exchanged a look. 

“Are you sure cancer was the only thing she gained from the lab tests?” I asked. 

“I don’t know anymore,” he answered.  We rushed to the wall.  He reached under his jacket and pulled a smaller version of a shotgun-like device.  “Get the kids away.”  I steered them to the corner of the room, pressing their tiny bodies behind me.  He aimed at the wall, and the weapon grew blue, a ball of energy forming at the barrel.  His finger hit the trigger and the orb blasted into the wall, smoke swarming it before evaporating seconds later.  I peered over and saw a dent in the wall as if someone clubbed it with a bat.  I gave Romane a worried look, his own not helping my uneasy stomach.

The vents started pouring smoke, causing the kids to start coughing.  Fear pricked the hairs of my skin and I stared at my hands.  An idea was floating...I wasn’t sure if this would work.  But I learned throughout this living Hell that you shouldn’t hesitate.  Whether it’s to kill someone who deserved it, or jumping off a bridge to go after a gang leader.  Hesitation was having doubt in yourself and what you’re capable of.  When living as a hustler, you don’t think.  Just do.  Shutting my eyes, I channelled my thoughts to the monster.  Forcing the darkness to parade into my soul, own the body I have.  I heard Romane screaming at the kids, ramming them to the other side of the room.  The temperature dropped and I was shivering.  First shoulders.  Arms.  Then hands.  I propelled the energy towards my hands, and screamed, the silver painfully grabbing onto my nails, dragging them down to free the metal itching to surface.  A voice sobbed in my mind, saying that was enough but the monster and I refused.  It wouldn’t be enough.  I forced more of the silver out, producing long Wolverine like nails.  Black spots started blurring my vision and I stopped the silver, barely able to wheeze a breath.  Stepping forward, I drove both nails in, breaking through the wall.