‡ Chapter 17 ‡

I’m in no mood to write so I’m grasping on straws here. 

No hate for this extreme crappiness…

Ranters who rant how they hate it when “Authors say how their writing is BS while they have (insert number here) readers”.  Well ranters, I’m not sure if that sentence made sense but whatever.  Screw you people.  *sings Ariana Grande and Iggy’s* I got one less problem without you. 

Cranky.  On my period soon.  Bite me.  Blahhhhhhh.

NOT EDITED I REPEAT NOT EDITED. 

+++

He allowed me to shower before we left.  Honestly, I felt like I was swimming in God’s cup.  Or in Jesus’s toilet (it has to be clean right).  Or in some Roman bath. 

I must have stayed in there for over an hour.  I lathered cream over the prune skin, wiping the mirror to reveal a clean Jess.  Staring back was a tanned woman, although with baggy eyes held a spark of renewal.  My hair sprouted fast, and my bangs outgrew, dangling past my tiny ears.  Several knocks hit the bathroom door and I told them I’ll be out in a minute. 

Unable to find a blow dryer, I quickly swept the raven sheath into a bun and allowed the loose strands to tumble forward.  Grabbing the green cotton long sleeve that fell off my shoulders and drooped to mid thigh, I threw on denim shorts that remained hidden under the shirt.  Slipping on black flats, I smacked on what seemed like a lip balm that I discovered in a drawer and exited. 

“Took you long enough,” Levi grumbled, waiting in the bedroom.  Arms crossed, I realized how cute he looked with pouted lips and smiled to myself.  The isolation made me crazy.  Yes.  It did. 

“Says the one with his arms crossed and grumbling absolute nonsense.”  I clapped my hands.  “Chop, chop!  We’re wasting time!” 

He rolled his eyes and twitched a smile.  “You’re so weird.” 

“I know,” I chirped, heading for the door.  The excitement was hard to hold; I was finally able to go outside.  Windows could only let you see so far. 

“Are you sure you’re not two years old?” he asked, closing the door behind him. 

Delivering a nod, I started rambling as we descended down staircases, long hallways and secret chambers.  That was it.  The isolation definitely messed with me.  Never had I felt so open to him.  It felt good to talk though.  “Where is everyone?” I finally asked.  I sceptically peeked around, curious about the silence. 

“There’s a special protocol,” he answered without missing a beat. 

I noticed him quickening his steps, the large hand now gripping my shoulders as he was nearly dragging me.  “What’s going on, Levi?”

“Shh…” he breathed, taking a sharp turn.  Whisking down another staircase, we entered an underground cave.  Misty clouds surfed the water and once I was hit by the moist, cool air, I had to blink twice to see if it was real.  My shoes pressed into the sand towards the water; it didn’t feel like I was walking.  More like floating because of how soft the grain was compared to the hospital room tiles.  The thunder and lightning stopped.  A row boat waited, tied to the dock.  Two lanterns hanged at the posts, sourcing the light in the dark cave.    

“Are you kidnapping me?” I whispered, wondering why I was whispering in the first place.

Chuckling, he released my arm with a thrust.  “Wouldn’t you love that?  I can see the headlines ‘My Sexy Kidnapper’.” 

“That’s actually a book,” I added, watching him untie the boat. 

“You nerds and your books,” he bantered, holding the rope.  Entwining his fingers along mine, he helped me into the row boat.  I wobbled, and squealed, feet paralyzed; afraid.  A laugh shook and I turned to see him failing to hide a smile.  “It’s tempting to push you in.”