Chapter Eight: An Unexpected Encounter Pt. 1

Silay leaned back in her chair, slowly sipping the strong tea the Healer had made for all of them. Once Healer Aibas had seen that they were all exhausted and hurt, she had refused to let them tell her their story until she had seen to their injures and everyone had eaten a simple, but good meal. The small group was seated around her table, and Silay was happy to let Jarlen fill in his old teacher on what had been happening.

The Healer's brow furrowed as Jarlen finished explaining. "So, someone is behind this?"

The three travelers nodded, and Aibas shook her head sadly. "I just can't imagine. So many people..." She broke off, unable to finish the thought hat had run through Silay's mind again and again. So many people sick. So many people who would die. "And you say it is magical." She looked at Riya this time, who bobbed her head in acknowledgment. Aibas had tried some general release spells to get the collar off her, but none had worked. She had finally settled for giving Riya something to help lessen her headache. The Healer sighed. "I think the rest of this discussion can wait until morning. Sleep is the best healer, after all."

Jarlen nodded in agreement, but before anyone stood to leave the table, Silay asked the question that had she had been wondering ever since Aibas had invited them into her home.

"Why was Jarlen your worst student?"

Healer Aibas laughed. "Because he had the audacity to apply to be a Healer's apprentice, and him with no healing power!" She gave her former pupil a fond smile. "So I took him on, of course. I was a bit rebellious in those days." She shook her head in mock disappointment. "He never did become a Healer. He couldn't manage even the simplest of spells."

Silay grinned at this. "I can see where that might be a problem."

Jarlen rolled his eyes and stood up from the table. "The two of you are worse than my sisters. So, if you are done making fun of me..." The rest of sentence was swallowed in a yawn. This set all three women to laughing, and a moment later, Jarlen's low chuckle joined them.

Healer Aibas rose from the table. "I've always said it is best to go to bed happy. Let me go get some blankets and pillows and see if we can't make you all comfortable."

It was the closest to sleeping in beds they had come to in weeks. Exhausted from the last few days, Silay had no trouble falling asleep. She half expected to have nightmares, but the combination of exhaustion and sleeping without any roots or rocks stabbing her sent her into a deep, dreamless sleep.

She woke up feeling more refreshed than in a long time. In fact, she couldn't remember the last time she had woken up and not been sore and tired. Sleeping outside, under the stars, had always sounded so, well, glamorous in stories. But the truth of the matter was that the ground was just not a comfortable place to sleep. No matter where you set up your sleeping roll there would inevitably be a root poking you in the back. Of course, thought Silay, the balm Healer Aibas had given her to rub on her muscles had probably helped too.

After quietly stretching, she made her way to the kitchen. Aibas was already there, and a moment later, Jarlen joined them with a nodded greeting. Silay though that he too looked more refreshed than he had in a while. The three of them were in the midst of quietly making breakfast when Riya finally woke up. There were dark circles under her eyes, and her face was pale. Whatever Aibas had given her to ease the pain of the collar had clearly worn off.

"Good morning!" If there was one thing Silay had learned about her friend, it was that she didn't like pity. "You look terrible!" She added cheerfully.

Riya stuck her tongue out at Silay. "You're no morning flower yourself."

"Now, now, ladies, no need to fight for my attention."