Bonus Chapter: Riya's Perspective Chapter 7.5

Riya didn't need her magic to know something was wrong when she reached the main road. She looked around the empty intersection, muscles tense. Spreading her magic out around her, she sensed the other magician just before an invisible force yanked her off her horse.

She hit the ground on her shoulder and rolled back onto her feet, knives in her hands. Riya slammed her elbow backwards into the gut of the invisible man behind her, while lashing at out with her magic at same time. The man behind her crumpled in pain, and her power slammed into that of the magician, forcing him to release the spell. The invisible attackers appeared as the spell broke, and there was a momentary lull, just as Jarlen arrived.

Riya stood in the center of the road. Behind her, Kade was sprawled out on the ground. A young man she didn't recognize was on her left, and the magician to her right. She met Jarlen's eyes as he road up, both of them silently calculating the situation.

Jarlen wheeled his horse around, going to warn Silay when the magician yanked him off of it. Riya tried to block he magician's attack, but he threw up a magical shield that stopped hers. Jarlen hit the ground hard, and quickly clambered to his feet, drawing his sword. The young man, likewise armed, charged him.

The magician's shield continued to hold, but all his attention was now on blocking Riya's attack. Unfortunately, all of her attention was on attacking, and she didn't hear Kade coming up behind her. She felt a hand on her neck, and spun, her magical attack faltering as she brought up her knife and slashed across Kade's chest. The magician's blast hit her hard, and she stumbled. In an instant, Kade was on her, wrapping a leather collar around her neck. Riya managed to throw him off, but not before he secured the collar. The fight ended quickly after that. With no way to block the magician, she and Jarlen both felt a deep sleep fall over them, as his spell did it's work.

***

Riya woke up with her hands and feet tied together, and her eyes blindfolded. Her left side throbbed from where she had hit the ground, and she could feel the beginning of the headache that was caused by the magic collar around her neck. She mentally ran through the muscles and bones in her body. Nothing seemed seriously hurt. She leaned against the walls, deliberately relaxing her arms and legs so they weren't straining against the rope.

"This is low, even for you Kade," she called out.

"Ah, but the pay is high."

Riya jerked in surprise. She hadn't actually expected an answer.

Kade crossed the room, and pulled off the blindfold. Riya blinked. It was a small room, but a window near the roof was letting in light.

She glared at her captor. "What's going on?"

Kade shrugged. "Business deal. I would have cut you in, but my employer already has a magician. And I don't think it's the kind of deal you do anymore."

Riya didn't answer, and Kade squatted, so they were eye to eye. "Tell me about the girl you're traveling with. Silay. The one you sent to me."

Riya managed to shrug, despite her arms being tied against her back. "Business partner. You know how it is."

Kade's hand slammed into her cheek and her head hit the wall. With effort, Riya, pushed down the pain and angered that flared inside of her.

"Come on, now Kade. What ever happened to honor among thieves?"

Kade raised his hand again and Riya instinctively flinched. He laughed and let his hand fall to his side.

"Honor is too expensive for thieves. You know that, Riya. Now, tell me about the girl. Why are you helping her?"

Riya met his gaze. "I have a debt to pay. And I don't mean the kind you can carry in a purse."

"And you think she can do it, this girl? Stop the plague?"

Riya didn't answer and Kade knelt, so he could see her eyes. He wasn't a strong seer, but he had some skills. Riya tried to break away from his gaze, but couldn't. After a moment, Kade stood up and laughed. "You don't! You don't think she can do anything, but you're going to try anyway. You are a fool."

He turned and walked away, then paused at the door. "My orders are to leave you here, tied up." Then he winked. "For old times' sake."

Riya leaned against the wall, waiting for some of the pain in her head to subside. She had understood his parting line, and the wink. That was the thing about Kade. He wasn't bad, exactly. He just, for the most part, didn't think about others, except how to get money from them. Riya had noticed it from the moment she had woken up. Once again relaxing her muscles, she gently rotated her wrists, grimacing as the ropes rubbed against them. Kade had tied her hands with her wrists stacked on one another. Once she managed to get them flat, there was enough slack in the rope to wriggle her hands free. Leaning forward, she untied her feet. Now to find Silay and Jarlen.

__________________

Some hints at Riya's history with Kade, here. What did you think?