Chapter 14, Pt. 4

Silay sprinted up the stairs, then came to a sudden stop at the end. What was she doing? Racing to see the Seer as if meeting an old friend? Not only was the Seer a leader in Dargosa, but she was also the woman who had sent her on this quest and, before that, who had condemned her to life as a ghost. With a mix of feelings churning inside of her, Silay walked to the room Edo had directed her to and knocked on the door.

"Come on."

Silay opened the door and stepped into the room.

"I still find you disconcerting, you know." The old woman was sitting at a small table, an array of farstones and bondstones spread out before her. "I knew it was you knocking by the fact that I didn't know who was knocking. A strange blind spot."

"Should I apologize?"

"Hmmm?" The Seer looked up from the table. "That was a bit harsh."

Silay shrugged. She hadn't meant to be rude, but what sort of response had the Seer expected? She hadn't asked to be a blind spot in the Seer's, and everyone else's, magic.

The Seer sighed and stood up. "You're right, though you didn't say anything. I suppose it is I who should apologize to you. I didn't know what I was sending you into when I suggested you might stop the plague." She rubbed her eyes. "You changed things faster than I had thought possible. But you found out information that was being blocked from us, and you seem to have upset our enemy's schedule. You did well."

"Thank you, I suppose."

The Seer nodded and walked over to a pack on her bed. "There is much I want to ask you, details I need to fill in. But I understand you have been working hard all day, and I have been travelling. We can talk in the morning." She reached into the pack and pulled out a folded sheet of paper. "Before you go, though, I wanted to give you this."

Silay reached out and accepted the paper. "What is it?"

"A letter. From your parents."

Silay's gaze jumped up from the paper to the Seer's face. The woman smiled. "Go. Read it. We will speak later."

Silay nodded, clutching the papers to her chest. She didn't say anything—there was a knot in her throat making it hard to speak. She rushed out of the Seer's room and down the hall to her own, grateful that Riya wasn't back yet from whatever she was doing. She threw herself on the bed, and took a deep breath. Her parents. It had been so long since she had left home, and so much had happened that she hadn't really had time to be homesick. But now home was all she could think about. Hands shaking, she unfolded the pages.

Our dear Silay,

We hope this letter finds you well. All is well with us. The Seer has kept us informed of your doings. She says that what you have done may have stopped the plague that was coming, for which all has Ohcink should be grateful. But the things that have happened to you! We knew it was the right decision to let you leave, that there was no future for you here, or at least not a happy one, but you must forgive us for worrying about you. We're your parents; it's our job to worry.

You have been very brave, more so than we ever could have imagined, though we wish that perhaps there would not have been so many occasions for such bravery.

We miss you very much, but hope you have not missed us too much. The Seer predicts a good harvest this year, and if it is possible, we would love to have you home for the Winter Solstice Feast. But do not worry about us; your work is important.

You are forever in our hearts.

Silay remained on the bed, re-reading the letter through tear-blurred eyes. It was wonderful, but she found herself desperately wanting more. Her parents may have known what was happening to her, but she had no idea what had been happening at home. She blinked, and quickly brushed away a tear that threatened to fall on the paper. A noise outside told her that Riya had returned. For once, Silay didn't feel like talking to her. She shoved the paper under her pillow, then rolled over on her side, feigning sleep. Eventually, sleep became a reality.