Chapter Three: The Traveling Seer, Part 2

It was dusk when Silay finally made it to the tent Riya had pointed out. "Hello?" she called from outside. She wasn't sure what proper tent-etiquette was— you couldn't exactly knock on the door.

"Yes?" The tent flap opened slightly.

"My name is Silay. I was wondering if I could talk to you. Riya said you were a seer?"

Kade, who looked to be in his mid-forties, narrowed his eyebrows. "Riya, eh? She should have told you I don't tell fortunes for free. And I'm closed for the day."

"Oh, but, I don't want my fortune told. You see—" Silay faltered. Jarlen had known her at once. Why didn't this man? "I'm from Dagrosa."

"Dagrosa? You won’t be needing your fortune told. What is it you want then?"

"News."

"News costs money too."

"Perhaps not this kind of news?"

"What kind of news would that be?"

Silay lowered her voice. "News about the plague."

Kade opened the tent flap wider. "You'd better come in."

Silay followed the seer into his tent, and blinked in surprise. At first she thought it was bigger on the inside, but in a moment she realized this was an illusion from the mirrors standing along the sides. She looked around, and her reflection stared back from multiple angles. The effect was disconcerting.

Kade was sitting on a stool next to a low table, watching her. Silay sat down on a second stool, and the man glared at her suspiciously. "And how is it you have heard about the plague?"

Silay wasn't sure what to say. Hadn't the Seer said she would send word of Silay's mission ahead of her?

"Well?"

"The Seer of Dagrosa told me." That seemed safe enough.

"Why would she do that?"

Silay shrugged. "She seems to think I can stop it."

Kade leaned forward. "And why does she think that?"

Silay hesitated, and Kade, seeming to sense her discomfort, shifted back to his original position. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you. I'm not a very strong seer, you understand. I can only see things a few months ahead, and because I travel so much I don't often hear from other seers. But I have heard of the plague."

"Have you Seen anything about it? Anything about when and where it starts?"

Kade shook his head. "Of course, mine not Seeing anything may be a good sign. It may mean it's still a long time away. But," he continued, "I'm not sure what you can do about it."

"I'm not either, but the Seer said I should go, so here I am."

"Here you are." Kade agreed. "Well, best of luck to you. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help."

"It's all right. Thank you for your time."

***

Silay returned to Riya's tent more troubled than when she'd left it. Riya noticed. "Everything all right?"

"I don't know." Silay shrugged." I just feel...lost. Not sure what I'm supposed to do."

Riya looked at her with concern, and gestured for Silay to sit beside her. "I'm thinking this has to do with something more than deciding whether or not you stay for the festival?"

"Yeah."

"You know, I get the impression there’s a lot about you that you aren't telling me."

Silay started to stand, but Riya touched her arm, stilling her. "It's fine. Your business is your business, and none o' mine. We've traveled together for a bit, that's all." She looked at Silay. "Just don't forget you're young, yes? It's all right to spend a few days not worrying. Whatever your business is, it can wait."