Chapter Seven: The Strange Magician Pt. 1

They were approaching another intersection between the main road and their path when Silay pulled on her horse's reins, and was momentarily surprised when he actually stopped. "Did you hear that?" she asked.

Jarlen and Riya circled back to her. "Hear what?"

"It sounded like..." a shout came from the direction of the main road. "...that."

Riya turned towards the road. "That sounded like a call for help."

There was a another cry, this one higher pitched. Jarlen frowned. "It sounds like a child." He looked at Silay. "What should we do?"

Silay was startled. "Why are you asking me?"

"Because this is your unquest. Your mission. You decide what we do. Go on our way or investigate."

Silay looked back and forth between him and Riya, who were both looking at her expectantly. She wasn't sure she liked this sudden feeling of being in charge. Stopping the plague was important, but surely helping other was too. She sighed. "We investigate."

Riya galloped off as soon as Silay spoke. Silay tried to point her horse towards the main road, but only succeeded in making it take a few steps sideways. Jarlen waited to make sure she got her horse pointed in the right direction, then, with a nod, raced after Riya. Silay followed them at a slower pace. She was still nervous about riding the horse at faster speeds.

When Silay reached the intersection, she didn't see anyone. "Riya? Jarlen?" There wasn't an answer. Unable to get the horse to circle around so she could look down the rest road, she dismounted. She couldn't see anyone in any direction. "Hello?" Still no answer. Fighting back panic, Silay turned to get back on the horse when she heard a noise behind her. She whirled around. "Riya?"

"Guess again."

From the bushes beside the road, two figures emerged. Talis and Kade.

"What's wrong?" asked Kade. "Not the people you were hoping to see?"

Silay stepped back. She could almost imagine she heard Jarlen and Riya reminding her of her training. Keep as much distance as possible between yourself and your opponent. That was why Jarlen preferred a sword. A sword! Silay had carried one on her horse ever since she'd started taking lessons from Jarlen. She took another step back, keeping her eyes on the two men, who were watching her carefully.

"What are you doing, girl?"

If you're frightened, don't talk. It will only give your fear away. That was Riya. Silay stepped back again, this time feeling for the horse behind her. She slowly stretched her arm along the saddle until she felt her scabbard. Never taking her eyes off her opponents, she drew the sword. The horse shied away, and she almost lost her balance, but managed to stay standing. Always keep the point of your sword pointed at the enemy. They must go through it to get to you. Jarlen again.

Kade laughed, not exactly the response Silay had hoped for. He nodded to Talis beside him. "According to your friend, you could barely even manage a knife a few weeks ago. You expect me to believe you can use a sword now?"

"Silay, please, just put down the sword." Talis almost sounded like he was pleading. "There's no need to fight. Jarlen and Riya aren't able to help you."

"Listen to him, girl. He's trying to help you."

Silay's eyes flicked from Talis to Kade. Something wasn't right here. When had Talis learned about Jarlend and Riya? And why didn't he and Kade attack? If your opponents don't attack, take the fight to them. Jarlen. Riya would have said to run. But there wasn't anywhere for her to run to. Tentatively, Silay took a step forward, still holding the sword out in front her. At least her hand wasn't shaking. Jarlen had taught her that much.