Chapter 13, Pt. 2

Trigger warning: If you have problems with needles or blood, you might want to skim this post. Just sayin' :)

While Riya and Edo began preparing the jars, Jarlen opened a drawer in the next cabinet and pulled out three packages wrapped in white linen, and three pairs of white linen gloves. Silay could have sworn the smell of magic in the room became stronger when he opened them.

Jarlen set the gloves and packets on a  table, then opened another drawer and pulled out a glass container filled with a clear liquid. Silay gave him an inquiring look. 

"Alcohol," he explained. "It kills germs." Jarlen pulled a stool over to the table. "Alright, Talis. You're first." Jarlen gestured for him to sit.

"What!? Why am I first?"

Before Jarlen could answer, Silay stepped forward. "It's fine. I'll go first."

Jarlen nodded and Silay took a seat. He picked up a strip of cloth and turned to her. "Hold out your left arm, please."

Silay complied and watched in interest as Jarlen wrapped the cloth tightly around her upper arm. "Isn't that what you do with bad wounds? To stop the bleeding?"

"A tourniquet?" Jarlen tied the cloth off. "Yes. In this case, it's acting like a dam. It slows the blood flow so I can get the needle into your arm easier, then when I untie it, I'm able to fill the sample vial faster."

Silay nodded. "That makes sense."

"Now, rest your arm on the table. I don't want to risk it moving for the next part."

"The next part being when you stick a tiny metal tube into my arm?"

Jarlen smiled. "That's the one. You may want to look away."

Silay considered taking Jarlen's advice, but found herself unable to look away as Jarlen located a vein and expertly inserted the needle. 

"Well? Did it hurt?" Talis' question broke her concentration.

She considered the question. "Ummm...maybe?" Silay continued to watch as Jarlen untied the tourniquet and pulled back the stopper inside the vial, filling it with blood. Her blood. "Mostly it just feels odd."

"Good. It shouldn't really hurt." Jarlen grabbed a square of cotton and placed it over the spot where the needle had entered Silay's arm. With a quick, decisive motion, he pulled the needle out, still holding the cotton in place. "Keep pressure on that bandage."

Silay nodded and pressed down on the cotton. Only then did Jarlen take his hand off of it.  He looked over to where Riya and Edo were working.

"Have a jar ready yet?"

"Yep." Edo carried one of the jars over to him, and Jarlen set the glass vial in it.

The alchemist turned to Talis and grinned. "Your turn."

***

"All right." Jarlen nodded at Silay. "I've got the needle in my vein, so I need you to untie the tourniquet." 

"Okay." Silay swiftly unwound the strip of cloth she had helped Jarlen tie into place moment before.

He nodded in approval. "Good. Now, put on that other pair of gloves and get the bandage ready, just like I did with you and Talis."

Silay pulled  on the gloves and picked up the cotton bandage. She waited until Jarlen had filled the vial before setting the bandage gently into place.

"Good." Jarlen smiled. "Now, as I pull out the needle, keep adding pressure. Once I have the needle out of my arm, I'll need you to wrap a strip of cloth around the bandage to hold it in place."

Silay grinned. "Got it!"

Jarlen gave her a strange look. "Are you enjoying this?"

"Well, not the blood part so much. But it is interesting."

"That it is." He paused. "I'm about to pull the needle out. Ready in one...two...three!"

Jarlen pulled the needle from his arm and Silay pressed down on the bandage. She grabbed the linen strip and wrapped it around his arm while Edo brought over the last jar for Jarlen to place the vial in.

Riya stood up and stretched. "So, what now? I see Talis has already left in search of breakfast."

Jarlen nodded. "Silay and I need to do the same. After that..." he shrugged. "Your time is your own. I'm going to come back here and start running some tests."

"Do you need any help?" Silay offered.

"Unfortunately, it would take more time to teach you what to do than if I just do it myself. And right now, time is very important."

"I understand." Silay fought to keep the disappointment from her voice. She did understand, but it had felt nice, being useful, knowing what she was supposed to do for once. And she had meant what she had said earlier. She really did find Jarlen's work interesting.

"Silay." Jarlen put his hand on her shoulder. "This isn't something I'm saying lightly; I truly want you to think about it. When all of this is over, if you want to, I would like you to become my apprentice. You have the mind for it."

Silay stared at Jarlen. "Truly?"

"Truly." He held up his hand before she could say anything else. "Don't answer now. I really want you to consider this seriously."

"Thank you. I will." Silay turned away quickly, hiding the tears forming in her eyes. She wondered if Jarlen realized that he had just offered her the one thing she had never thought she would have. A future.

She brushed her sleeve across her eyes and turned back to Jarlen. "I think you mentioned breakfast?"

***