Chapter 14, Pt. 2

Silay signalled for Edo, Amata, Riya, and Talis to wait with her as the room emptied. Finally it was just the five of them, Olivia, and Giffin's seer. It reminded Silay of their first night in Griffin.

Olivia waited until the last person left the room and closed the door. She took a seat at the table, and everyone followed suit.

Silay couldn't stand waiting any longer. "This is our fault, isn't it? Sojan is attacking Griffin because of us."

Olivia waved her hand, as if pushing Silay's concerns aside. "The relationship between Griffin and Sojan has never been very civil. If, as we believe, they have been planning this for a while, then Griffin was a likely first target. However," she leaned forward, "I do think your actions, if not your presence, might have driven them to act sooner than they might have otherwise. Which is a good thing, since it means they didn't have time to fully prepare."

"What did you want to talk to us about, then?" asked Edo.

"We are very likely about to be under siege. I know what each of my people can do to help. I want to know what you all have to offer."

Silay laughed. "I'm afraid I'm fairly useless. I'll help out wherever I can, of course, but I don't have any special training or skills."

Amata nodded her agreement. "I'm in the same situation as Silay."

"And you three?" Olivia looked at Riya, Talis and Edo.

"I am, that is, I was--, ahem" Talis nervously cleared his throat. "Because of my destiny I was given training in a lot of different skills. Fighting, riding, survival. That sort of thing. Though probably not very useful in a siege."

"I will be the judge of that." Olivia turned to the two remaining people. "And you two? I know you're both magicians. Any specialities?"

"Spell-breaking."

"Illusions."

Edo and Riya spoke at the same time, but Olivia's eyes fixed themselves on Riya.

Riya's face colored. "I know what you're thinking. You know what I can do. There's no need to ask."

Olivia nodded. "Thank you. I will let you know if there is anything you can do later. In the meantime, I would appreciate it if you would find one of the crews that are being organized and help them out."

"Of course!" Silay spoke up quickly, but she could see agreement in her friends' faces. Despite Olivia's words, they couldn't help but feel this was all their fault. After all, Sojan had all but threatened an attack or similar action in their letter. So, they would help where they could. And keep hoping the S'vaeli didn't make their move anytime soon.

__________________________

So, what do you think the S'vaeli are up to? We haven't heard from them in a while now. And what is Sojan's endgame here?

I hope you're enjoying the story so far! Sorry for the short post. Had a major life event (a good one) that kept me busy all week.