Chapter 13, Pt. 1

Tap, tap tap.

Silay groaned and rolled over in bed, glaring at the door. Maybe whoever was knocking would go away.

Tap, tap, tap.

No such luck. Her second hope, that Riya might get the door, was immediately dashed when the magician pointedly rolled over and pulled the covers over her head.

Tap, tap, TAP. The knocking was more urgent now.

“I’m coming!” Silay climbed out of her bed and paused, surprised by the feeling of cloth swirling around her feet. She looked down. Oh, yes. Someone had lent her a nightdress. And while she couldn’t remember the last time she had slept in clean clothes, it did present a problem. “Ummm...actually, I’ll be a few moments. I have to get dressed.”

“That’s fine.” The voice was Jarlen’s. “You and Riya just need to meet downstairs as soon as you can.”

“I’m not sure Riya is ready to get up yet.”

“Tell her I’ll order a cup of tea for her.” Jarlen’s footsteps were muffled by the door as he walked away.

Silay turned to the lump of sheets on Riya’s bed. “Did you hear that?”

There was a muffled reply.

“What did you say?”

Riya’s head appeared briefly. “I said ‘no’!”. She disappeared back into the covers.

“Riya!” Silay’s voice was exasperated. 

Riya rolled over to face Silay. “Do you know how long it’s been since I was able to get a good night’s sleep?”

“We’re all tired. You said so yourself last night. But this isn’t over yet.” Silay grinned. “Besides, Jarlen knows how you are in the morning. He wouldn’t have woken you up if he didn’t have a reason.”

“Fine,” Riya sighed. “You get ready and go down. I’ll be right there.”

“All right.”

Silay looked around the room. The clothes she and Riya had been travelling in had joined the inn’s pile of clothes to be washed, which was fine. The problem was their replacements. Silay had been too tired to notice it the night before, but it seemed the women in Griffin wore dresses. Not that Silay hadn’t worn a dress before. She had, many times. She just preferred the loose-cut trousers that most women in Dargosa wore. They were much more practical.

Sighing, Silay climbed out of the nightdress. She pulled on the undershirt that had been left for her, and pulled the dress on over that. Thankfully, it was the kind that laced in the front, so she didn’t have to bother Riya for help.

With unpracticed hands, Silay laced the dress, then frowned. Even with the laces pulled tight, the dress was too loose. She put her hands on her waist, and was startled to find them closer together than she remembered them being. She must have lost weight while travelling.  

Shrugging, Silay headed for the door. “Don’t forget to get up!” She shouted cheerfully over her shoulder. She just managed to dodge the pillow Riya threw at her in response. 

***

Downstairs in the tavern, Jarlen was sitting at a round table with three stools. Next to him was a cup of tea. Silay sat next to him and nodded at the cup. “Is that for me?” 

Jarlen shook his head. “No, for Riya.”

Silay looked around the wood-paneled room. Talis was sitting at another table, hunched over in a way that made Silay think he didn’t want to be bothered. Besides that, the room was empty. Not surprising, given how few people there had been on the road. “Is there a server somewhere?”