Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

Ryder

Xaldentar

About five minutes after I got to Australia, Maddy appeared right next to me. Before she got there, I looked around me, watching the exotic birds fly around the trees, penguins waddling across the beaches, the beautiful trees swaying in the wind. A perfect place, completely free of civilization. Maddy zipped behind me, surprising me,

"Here we are," she said, breathing deeply, smiling, no doubt inhaling many foreign microbes, "Australia."

"It'll be easy to get Bella back. Right?" I asked concerned looking to my left, which was the side she was on, frowning.

"To be honest with you, I'm not sure," she replied, the light shining through the trees dancing across her face. She began to walk towards a small cliff, "There are quite a few reasons we should be cautious." I started to walk behind her, summoning the Soul Punisher, the red glow of a spell beginning to glaze my fingers, but Maddy turned around grabbed the collar of my coat and held me in place, the red glow on the tips of my fingers disappearing. I was about to ask why, but she stopped me. She clenched harder on my black coat, which was my pride and joy, tearing the seams on it. She clearly was having a bad day with clothing.

"Like I said," she said, staring straight into my eyes, and hers had a deep anger burning within them, "We need to be very careful here."

"Why?" I asked, looking at Maddy, holding her gaze, "We don't know who's here. Right Maddy? We don't know who's here?"

Maddy bit her lip, letting go of my shirt, "Not exactly. You don't know, but I do. He's a vampire-killing machine." She said the words with malice in her voice, clearly going back to bad memories.

"A slayer?" I asked, worried, mending the seams with MORE MAGIC. The stuff doesn't grow on trees, as Maddy seemed(get it? seemed?) to believe. Magic actually spawned from dark emotions, like in Star Wars, how dark emotions led to the dark side, dark emotions give dark magic, and good emotions create moonmist. Moonmist is only able to do good, like heal wounds, create magic shields, and enchant objects to do moonmist magic, as an item to concentrate that magic into an active force.

"No, a vampire, and I think he has Bella," she said solemnly, clearly using moonmist to locate Bella(She never uses moonblood, the opposite of moonmist, also known as black magic. She always gives moonblood to me to use.), as I gasped, I had never heard of a vampire that killed other vampires, and not get killed at trial, "I even know his name." Maddy finished harshly, as if she was ashamed to know this kind of knowledge. I tried to imagine someone being evil AND a killer of his kind(subtract the killer of their own kind and you got me on a bad day[but still a killer]).

"Well?" I asked quickly, "What's his his name?"

Maddy drew in a sharp breath, looked around as if to make sure that no one was watching us, even though there was no one around for miles, "Xaldentar,"(zal-dent-are) She said sharply.

                                                                                                *******

"Alrighty then," I said starting towards the cliff Maddy had been walking towards, "Where to? We need to find him before he drains Bella,"

"Follow me," she said, already beginning to walk in the other direction. As she began to walk forward to another cliff, summoning the Soul Punisher, the red umbrella zipping to my hand(I had dropped it in the sea), and flicking water off the red crystal in the center. I anxiously followed. I needed Bella back. I couldn't imagine my life without her. Not only was her blood my food, but she was very good for company. "Hey Ryder?" Maddy asked curiously, "Why are you so attached to Bella all of a sudden?" (Not-so)Naturally, I gave the complete truth,

"Death has a way of changing one's priorities. For example, who is your favorite person? Who are you closest to?" I felt like I was going to be going into a good, old fashioned monologue.

'My mother' she thought automatically to answer my question. She was an amazing person. If anyone hurt her, she would beat them into a bloody pulp(I read her mind).

"Imagine living the most horrific nightmare you could possibly think of, and seeing them get mangled, eaten, torn apart, and mutated, and then strange combinations of the four over and over again," I could practically see the terror in her eyes. "Different nightmares, same result. Twenty years worth of nightmares in the span of two! That is what HELL is like." Hey, like I said, I gave her the complete truth. Of course I saw the fear, pity and, not surprisingly, complete misunderstanding. Moments after, I saw the expression disappear. Maddy tried to lightly punch me to see if I was still on earth or in a world of my own design, but I caught her fist and laughed, "You sly dog, you caught me monologueing!!!" (Thank you for the lovely chance to make a reference SYNDROME.)

"Come on," she exclaimed confidently, striding towards the cliff once again, "We're going to find Bella if it kills us!" Little did I know that it just might.