Chapter Twenty-Seven

I froze as I continued staring down at my screen, reading the message over and over again, trying to process it. 

Heard ur looking 4 a hookup. I'm @ school dance tonight and can meet u in a classroom.

They'd texted me. The drug dealer had texted me. How had they gotten my number? Someone must've given it to them and told them I'd been interested in NT. That was the only logical explanation. My money was on Henry. Tasha or Charlotte or someone else must've told him that I wanted some and since he's 'so close' to the drug dealers, he helped them out by trying to get them more customers. Including me.

"Everything okay?" I heard Debby ask next to me. I looked away from my phone as casually as I could.

"Fine." I simply answered but began looking frantically around the room. What was I going to do? I had to tell Eric.

I spotted him in the same spot from a few minutes ago, now seeming engaged in a conversation with Turner, the two both chatting seeming to be deeply involved with each other's words. I wanted to run up to them and interrupt with the news but wondered what would happen if I did. Would Monday's planned heist just take place a few days earlier? Because I still wasn't on board with that plan and doing it in a black cocktail dress tonight didn't make the idea seem any more appealing than before. Would they just tell me to ignore it? Could I really ignore it?

The drug dealer was willing to meet with me tonight. They were at the school at this very moment. I couldn't let them slip away. Not after all these weeks of searching and trying to uncover who they were... I had to go to them. Just to meet them in the class. I'd buy some drugs as a cover but I'd secretly try and find out who they were. Or at least gather some evidence, maybe DNA. I had to do it -and there was no way I was letting the others know. I wasn't going to let them turn this into some full-scale mission. It needed to be done as secretly and casually as possible.

At all my time in the RUA, all I'd manage to do was look like a weakling. I couldn't defend myself against Brad, or the two dealers that were at the school that night - but I could've if I really tried. Maybe it was the fear of fighting and injury that put me off it but a part of me knew that when I fought them, I wasn't using all my power. I knew I had it. I'd managed to overpower Eric a few times so what made a high schooler or two any different? I had to go.

I pulled out my phone, surprised at how shaky my hands were as I carefully came up with a response.

I am interested and will be at the formal soon. Just tell me when and where and we can meet up.

I closed my eyes tightly as I pressed send, releasing a deep breath.

"Debby, we're leaving," I ordered, suddenly walking off.

"Wait, what?" she asked, following me as quickly as her six-inch heels would allow her. "Why? It's so nice here, and we only just arrived! Come on Becca!"

I kept walking until we were out of the gym and back in the main office, the voices and music from the even became distant. "Look, I need to go to something. It's really important and regarding my mission. You need to drive me," I pressed the button and waited for the elevator.

"Where?" Debby asked, obviously confused but not questioning me after seeing the serious look on my face.

"Kennedy High," I replied as the doors opened, stepping in.

"Ew," she responded automatically. School rivalry was a weird thing.

"They're having their formal tonight and I need to meet up with someone there. You can tag along." I explained as I felt the elevator move up.