Chapter Thirteen

"You did what?" Eric asked in a completely outraged tone.

"I didn't just tell her because I felt like it Eric," I sighed with frustration. "She was on to me and my Mom could have worked out I wasn't at school and things would have gone a lot worse. I did the best I could."

Eric was pacing around worriedly. I had just told him about my conversation with Debby yesterday and it was safe to say that like expected, it hadn't gone down well.

After a moment he released a sigh and stopped pacing. "I guess you did. But your friend will need to come down here at some point during the week to sign a confidentiality contract."

"It's that serious?" I grimaced.  

"It's pretty serious. This is a whole undercover unit, Becca. We have to be careful or we could all be put at risk and in danger." He answered. I sighed loudly realizing how dangerous it could be to tell people.

"Okay, okay look, I'll speak to her. I'll see if I can get her down here tomorrow morning or something. She's the only person who knows and the only one that will." I said trying to assure him that things would be okay.

After I spoke with him and we had our regular training session, I headed out to get ready for another day at Kennedy High with the help of Cassie. By the time I had left for school, the same unsettling feeling that I always got when leaving came over me again.

I noticed something was up the moment I stepped out of the limo this morning. People weren't staring anymore. Everyone was talking quietly among themselves. Almost whispering.

I walked up the stairs still looking around suspiciously as I entered the building. As I walked down the hallway I noticed it too was quiet. As I walked down further I saw Tasha, Violet, and Charlotte and approached them.

"Hey, what's going on around here?" I asked.

She looked up at me with a pale almost ghost-like face. "Misty is in the hospital. She almost overdosed on NT."

I felt my entire body freeze. An overdose? Oh no. It was starting to happen. "Who's Misty?" I asked trying to hide any urgency in my voice.

"She's this girl in our grade," Tasha said worriedly. I nodded sympathetically.

"Would you excuse me for a moment," I said walking off. I walked towards the janitor's closet and looked around to see if anyone would notice me walking in. Everyone was too busy quietly talking among themselves and one group of girls were crying. They must have been her friends. I opened the Janitor's closet door quietly slipping in and shutting the door behind me.

I dug into my bag and pulled out my spy device. Holding it in my hands I pressed down the green button.

"Eric, are you there?" I whispered into the device with a shaky voice.

"What's wrong?" He answered back almost instantly, noticing the sound of fear in my voice.

"A student is in the hospital. They almost overdosed." I said softly into the device.

I heard silence from his end before he finally spoke up a moment later. "Look, keep calm and go about today as planned. I will get onto this now." He said. I could hear the sound of him getting up.

"O-Okay," I said still shaken. "Do you want me to find out more about the incident or-"

"No don't worry about it if someone has taken the drug, they've taken it. You need to work on finding out who is supplying it" he answered.

"I'll try," I replied biting my lip nervously.

"Okay. I have to go, don't worry, just continue the day like normal and you'll be fine," he said before I heard his device click off.