Chapter Sixteen

The next morning, I was in the limo and on the way to Kennedy High as usual. I was feeling better after the attack on our late night mission because of the training I did yesterday afternoon with Eric. I just wanted to be ready in case I ever found myself getting attacked again.

"Prepared for another day?" Turner asked from the front seat.

"As ready as I'll ever be." I sighed and rested my head against the car window.

"That's the spirit." he replied as he placed his hands on the steering wheel to turn it. I continued looking out the window dully at the scenery. We drove past shopping centers and people waiting at bus stops or walking as usual. It was weird watching it all now because I always thought there was nothing special about living in this town, but now I knew there was a whole secret agency and I was helping it.

"How have you been?" I asked Turner as I turned my attention away from the dull scenery outside.

He placed his sunglasses that were sitting on top of his head, down onto his eyes. "I've been well," he replied. "Just working hard on my missions as usual."

"Oh, yeah that thing in France about the whole prostitution ring or something," I remembered.

He shook his head and laughed, "No we closed that case last month after we completed it. I'm working on another mission with Cassie now" he informed me.

I felt my eyes widen. "You already finished that case? How long did it take?"

"About 2 weeks." He slowed down the car as we reached a traffic light.

I started to feel sick in my stomach. I adjusted my seat belt as it started to feel like it was constricting me."It only took you two weeks to solve that case? It sounded extremely complicated. I've nearly been working two weeks on this one."

"Don't worry, I've got a lot more experience and we had more agents working on that case then this one. We also knew who the bad guys were, you, on the other hand, have to find out yourself," he assured me.

I placed my head back on the window and continued to look out of it, still not feeling completely confident. That hadn't helped me feel better at all.

When we arrived at the school, I got out as normal but noticed that fewer people were watching. I realized that people were starting to get used to it, as was I so they didn't stare anymore. It was reassuring to know that the attention had died down. I guess the stares just made me uncomfortable.

I walked up the stairs quickly with my backpack and entered the school building. As I did, I felt my phone go off, I took it out of my pocket to see I had gotten a message from Debby:

Have fun on your mission today and try not to die :D :D :D #spylife #getwitheric

My eyes widened at the text and I quickly deleted it. The last thing I needed was somebody to see a message like that on my phone. I made note to give her a stern talk about keeping this under the wraps the next time I saw her.

My eyes were still locked on my phone as I continued walking and I accidentally felt myself bump into someone. "Sorry" I said quickly.

I looked up immediately and saw that it was Brad. He smirked casually. "Can't get enough of me huh?"

I smiled back awkwardly as I put my phone away. This had to be the third time I had bumped into him. Why did this keep happening? "Sorry," I apologized. "I really need to stop doing that."

He continued smiling. "It's okay."

I gave him a small smile back and continued walking to my locker, more quickly now. I hadn't even been in the school building for more than a minute and I'd already had my first awkward interaction for the day.