Chapter Eight

I exited the elevator and walked into RUA Headquarters as swiftly as I could. After everything today, I still had training and needed to speak to Eric about my progress today.

I walked into the gym and let out the biggest groan as I dropped down on the floor.

"How did today go?" Eric asked, staring down at some files intently.

"Good," I replied, not sure whether I meant it or not. I was laying down on my back looking up at the ceiling. "But it was pure torture," I answered honestly.

"Did anything go wrong?" he asked, not concerned with my dramatic ways.

"No, no problems." I dragged my bag closer to me and took out the spy device, holding it up above my head to hand it to Eric.

Eric grabbed it from my hand, accidentally touching my fingers in the process, waking me up as I felt the jolt of electricity rush through me. I suddenly wasn't feeling as tired anymore.

I sat up as I watched Eric take my device over to a laptop that sat in the corner of the gym. I got up and followed him, keeping up with his pace. I watched him grab a cord and plug one end into my spy device and the other into the laptop. After a few more seconds of fiddling around, he pressed play.

"I don't know he might get some from Henry if he has any left." a voice said, coming from the computer.

He was playing back the tape. "They're talking about the drug," I informed, even though it was probably obvious. Eric nodded and paused the tape.

"Who's Henry?" he asked.

"I don't know," I replied.

"Make a note to find out who he is tomorrow okay? We can't waste a single day on this. You need to be making progress on this every day." He said.

"Okay,with" I replied, trying not to feel the pressure building on me already to get things done.

He continued to play the tape. I listened in with him, remembering the lunchtime conversation.

"Actually, you know, I could maybe try it sometime." I heard myself say on the tape, referring to the drug. Eric nodded.

"Good call on that." he muttered, keeping his eyes on the screen.

"Thanks," I said. I felt my heart lift at his small praise.

The tape continued with Charlotte saying no one knew who dealt the drug and then proceeded with the sound of the bell ringing. It ended with a loud click, signaling I'd turned it off.

"Good, we're making progress." He stared at the device. I watched as he copied the audio onto his own device and save an extra copy on the computer. "Now, we need to talk about relationships." He began, shutting the laptop screen.

"What?" I asked.

"We need to work out how you are going to be with each person." He explained.

"Oh."

"These girls are obviously in your friendship group now, so make you watch the way you speak to them. You need to stay in their good books."

I nodded as he continued. "We can't have any drama or teenage problems delaying an important mission. Also, make sure you don't get attached to anyone here. This is all just a job. You won't be able to keep in contact with any of these people when this case is over."

"You don't have to worry about that," I said, reassuring him. I'd pretty much already decided that I hated everyone already. Their conversations were insufferable.