Chapter Ten

It was day four and I was making my way into the factory more upbeat this time. My combat skills were improving and I was actually starting to believe for the first time that I could handle being an agent. Even though yesterday hadn't gone entirely to plan, in a way, it couldn't have gone any better. I'd needed that day off to get a better grasp of things. I'd been thrown into this case so quickly, I'd barely had any time to process it.

Another thought was going through my mind as I walked into the building: That moment Eric and I had yesterday. I didn't know why but I couldn't get it out of my head, it was stupid. All I could think about was when he grabbed my waist and let me land on him when we fell. I knew he was just protecting me from injury, but that didn't stop my mind running with different ideas. What was I even doing, obsessing over something as small as that? I needed to sort myself out and focus on the real reason I was here.

I made my way to the elevator and walked in as the door opened. I got on the ground removed the correct tile, pressed the red button then placed the tile back on top of it. I felt the elevator move down.

What was Eric going to be like when I saw him? Was he going to be more relaxed or just be the same old serious Eric? I hadn't known him for that long but I'd already worked out that he could be pretty unpredictable. He maintained a professional manner, but I knew there was more to him behind it, I'd witnessed some of it yesterday. The doors opened and he was standing there waiting for me.

"Come on, we have training first up," He told me as he walked towards the gym.

Serious Eric it was.

I slowly followed him. He didn't mention the time. I looked down at my watch and saw that I was ten minutes late and he hadn't said anything. Maybe he was starting to become more understanding of what I was going through and was cutting me some slack. Which I wasn't sure how to feel about. Part of me was relieved, but I also didn't want him to pity me or go easy or me because I was having trouble adjusting to this all. I wanted to have control. I made a mental note to try to show up exactly on time the next day.

"Okay so as you missed yesterday, a bit of catching up has to be done today." Eric began to explain as we entered the gym. "I need you to speak to Brad today and really find out more about what's happening because it's Friday and it's the last chance you'll have before the weekend."

"Okay, " I replied in agreement. "I'll try and talk to him today and maybe find out a bit about him from Tasha and all those girls first."

He nodded before quickly looking away from me the moment we made eye contact. I felt like he was trying to distance himself from me. I couldn't understand why exactly. Maybe he just wanted to get back to his work.

"Uh, you can just go to Cas now if you want, we did most of our training yesterday in those extra hours." he said quietly.

His words confirmed my thoughts and I nodded as I walked into the room, this time, shutting the door while he was still in there. I felt a little disappointed that we wouldn't have our morning training but I understood that he probably had more serious work to deal with than some teenager doing a silly drug bust. That was nothing in this industry.

After seeing Cassie and continuing our normal morning routine I left for school again. Well, 'fake school' I guess. I didn't really know what to call it, the whole situation was pretty complicated.

As I entered the school grounds, I heard the ringing of the bell fill my ears. Ugh, crap. Those ten minutes that I came late really did make a difference. I quickly grabbed my books and headed to my first class.

"Oooh! Amanda! Hi!" I turned around to see Tasha run up and hug me. I awkwardly stood there, unsure of how to react. "Oh my god, where were you yesterday? Emily from science class said that you had some fatal virus and only had 24 hours let to live."