Chapter Three

The wind had made it hard for me to stay balanced, its powerful force almost tilting me to the side on several occasions. The night was cold and I could feel the goosebumps on my legs, rising with every strong breeze that came in my direction.

This wasn't a good idea. I knew that somewhere in the back of my mind but was refusing to acknowledge it. The other part of me, the more curious part, was taking control of the situation.

With my hands firmly gripping the handles of my bike, I pedaled on as fast as my legs would allow me. A quick glance at the watch on my wrist let me know that I'd arrived a few minutes early as I pulled up at the park.

The entire area was completely deserted. The only movement came from the rustling of leaves in the trees after another strong breeze swept past. I released my grip on the bicycle, eyeing my surroundings with caution.

It was hard to make out the entire perimeter with my only light source coming from a nearby dim, flickering street lamp. I'd stopped in front of a wooden bench that resided under a large oak tree. Tilting the bike to the side, I hopped off it carefully to get a better look.

I squinted my eyes, trying to identify anyone that could be nearby. I'd planned on simply riding past earlier but the area seemed safe and open, the only mess coming from a flyer that had been blown away by the wind.

I noticed a nearby rose bush, with dark pink flowers that were in full bloom. Aside from that, most of the greenery resided on the ground with freshly mowed grass that stretched across the entire area. I could smell dirt, mixed in with the occasional floral scent that was being blown around by the strong wind. As I peered around, I was lost for answers. There were no buildings, cars, or people in sight.

There was no one here.

Regret and foolishness began to overcome me. If I hadn't been riddled with doubt earlier, now I just felt plain stupid for making the effort to come out here. 

I must have translated the message incorrectly. Either that or I was the target of someone's idea of a prank. Though I couldn't understand what would be so funny about luring me out of my house in the middle of the night, aside from just wasting my time.

I wondered if the message had been from someone I knew. Kevin and Debby were the only ones who came to mind as they were the only people I really talked to. But they were back at my house, seemingly clueless to this whole ordeal.

Exhaling a deep breath, I felt completely befuddled. My mind was racing, searching for a solution to how this had happened. There must have been some kind of mix-up or misunderstanding. Whatever it was, I doubted I would receive an answer.

With another cool breeze blown in my direction, I tucked my elbows in, rubbing my cold hands together to warm them. This had been a mistake. The cold night and windy bike ride had been a struggle, and now I was just standing alone, practically freezing to death in an empty park. Deciding not to give it a second thought, I placed my hands back on the handles as I prepared to mount the bike again.

"You made it."

The deep voice startled me and a loud gasp escaped my mouth. I turned around in a flash but froze at the sight of the dark shadow of a male figure in front of me.

Leave. Get on the bike and leave right now.

I wanted to obey the voice of caution in my head that was reminding me of the danger of the situation. But I couldn't move a muscle. I was in a state of shock from the sudden appearance of the stranger. I silently cursed myself for not even noticing or hearing him approach. I'd only turned my back for a second...