Chapter Eighteen

The rest of the week passed slowly without any of us gaining any new information regarding the mission. Before I knew it, Saturday had arrived. A full day of training with Eric - but also the night I had my 'date' with Brad.

Midday had arrived and after a tiring training session, Eric and I had taken a well deserved lunch break. We had been doing combat fighting all morning that were a lot more intense than usual. I had wondered if it was because of my date tonight. Though that wouldn't make much sense as to why I had to learn so much. I just got the sense that Eric was a little on edge that morning.

I was walking over to Cassie's office to see her as she had requested to see me at lunch. Her door was only a few down from Eric's in the same hallway. When I arrived, I knocked on the door anxiously awaiting her response. A moment later the door opened and Cassie was standing in front of me with an apple in her hand. .

"Oh hey, come in." she greeted as she took a huge chunk out of her apple. I looked around at her office. It was so different from Eric's - it was more personalized. On the walls hung photos of her with friends at what looked like clubs and parties. Her desk had a few novels on it which I assumed she read in her down time, along with a glass vase filled with pink tulips.

"Sit." she told me as she pointed to the chair that sat on the other side of her desk. I obeyed and sat down while she nestled in to her own office chair.

"You have a really nice office." I noted as I continued looking around in admiration.

"Thank you," she smiled in between bites. I waited for her to finished before she began speaking again. "So, anyway," she continued once she swallowed, "I wanted to talk to you about your little date tonight."

I sighed as I leaned back on the chair "Cassie," I complained.

"Come on, we need to talk about what you're going to be wearing and all that" she urged.

"I don't know." I shrugged. "Give me some skinny jeans and a sweater. It's going to be cold out anyway." I ran my hands through my hair nervously.

"Are you sure? Cause maybe a nice dress-"

"Cassie, it's fine. It isn't like this is a real date, it's just a part of the mission." I reminded her.

She blinked at me for a moment, looking like she was going to argue more but then she released a long sigh and nodded in agreement.

After a moment of silence, she spoke up again. "So is this your first date?" she asked grinning.

"Not a date. It's a mission." I repeated.

"But still," she said with the grin still plastered on her face.

I sighed and reluctantly answered."Yeah..." I thought I heard her squeal but I ignored it and continued "I just haven't had time for guys with all the gymnastics training I've done over the years. I remember gym better than any high school memories I've ever had."

"Are you nervous?" she placed her apple down on the desk.

"Well, I am now," I muttered. Her bringing up the whole 'first date' thing wasn't exactly helping the situation.

"Sorry!" she threw her hands up in the air in defense. "I just wanted to know."

I let the silence settle over us again before I spoke "Did you...have to do anything like this on your missions? This, 'relationship' stuff?" I asked awkwardly.

She nodded instantly "All the time." she answered. I cringed at the thought of her being forced to pretend to like people that she was probably afraid of or repulsed by.