Chapter Nineteen

Overthinking had always been one of my weaknesses, and as I got up on Sunday morning, my thoughts from the previous night still ran through my head. 

Not even Brad - I had let that event take the back seat in my mind. Every thought I had was about Eric and what had happened. One part of me was screaming with excitement at the fact that I now knew he liked me. The other part was falling apart knowing that we wouldn't ever be together. My mind echoed with what he had told me. That we were wrong, and what we were doing was unprofessional. I knew he was right, as much as I hated to admit it to myself. And I knew that even after this mission we still couldn't be together. I would have senior year and college to think about, he would have to continue his dangerous spy work. But even though I had all these reasons to not to even think about being with him, his kiss had left me wanting him more than ever.

My door opened suddenly and I turned to see my mother standing there. Her eyes looked tired and I felt bad for waking her up so early. "We're leaving in five minutes," she said wearily.

I nodded as she shut the door. She was driving me to a gymnastics session this morning since I had left my bike at Seaville. But she was under the impression that I was just too tired to ride my bike today. I had taken a cab home last night after I left headquarters. Eric had taken me there after what had happened and I didn't stay too long. Convincing him that I was okay a thousand times had started to upset me. I didn't want him to look down on my with sympathy - like I was some weakling or something. And the awkwardness between us had become a bit too unsettling since neither of us were willing to bring up what had happened.

I walked down the staircase with a light grip on the railing. I could still feel Brad's hard grip on them. I shuddered at the memory and pushed it out of my head. My mom was waiting for me by the front door, holding a travel mug which I assumed was containing coffee and wearing a matching pink tracksuit.

"Remind me where the gym is, I can't think straight at the moment." she rubbed her eyes.

I let out a small laugh "Okay."

When we entered the car, I reached for my phone to text Debby to join me at the session. As I began typing the sudden realization hit me that she had quit a week ago. I let my phone slip out of my hands in disappointment. I felt an almost nauseous feeling hit me. Training wasn't going to be the same without her.

The drive didn't take too long but we did miss a turn and had to go back, I apologized to my Mom for forgetting to direct her that time. It was so hard to stop thinking about Eric. When we did finally arrive, I checked the time and saw that the session would be starting right now. I took off my seat belt and started to get out of the car.

"Hey, why don't I come in and say hi to Coach May? I haven't spoken to her in a while." My Mom suggested.

I immediately sat back down. A nervous feeling grew over me. If she spoke to my coach, the topic of me not attending many training sessions could come up. And as far as my mother knew, that's where I was spending all my time.

"Uh no, there's no need for that" I tried to say as casually as I could.

Mom waved me off "Oh nonsense, I'd love to catch up."

My heart raced as she took off her seat belt, "But you can't!" I said quickly. "Cause..."

She turned to face me, raising an eyebrow.

"Cause..." I swallowed. "You're um,"

"I'm what?" she asked suspiciously.

"You're not wearing any makeup..." I said hesitantly. "And you look uh, tired."

I watched her pull out a compact mirror that had been sitting in a small compartment of the car. She inspected herself carefully, moving her face and the mirror to get better looks. "Oh dear, I guess you're right," she said.