Chapter 2 : A Prince Appears (Part 02)

"Echizen Ryoma, twelve years old. In a year and a half, he's won four straight junior tournaments in the US, and is known as a prodigy," explains Sumire.

"Four? Straight?" asks Sakuno disbelievingly.

"Yup, there's no fluke in that... well, he's like Chiharu for me," says Sumire, looking at Chiharu.

"Eh? Why is that?"

"Sigh... nothing... Sumire-san, please don't say anything about it," warns Chiharu as she glances to Sumire who just smiles.

0 - 40

"He's the son of one of my students.His family is returning in Japan and even though he's not well-known here, he said he'd play in this tournament. I told himif he's strong enough, he should register in the Under-14 instead of Under-12. But Ryoma boasted that if he were going to play, he'd play in the under-16 category. What a boy," explains Sumire and the first game is over. Chiharu smirks when she knows Ryoma has won this game.

First game won by Echizen

"You're kidding me, right? Sasabe lost his service game..." says Aki still in shock.

"You're going to play in the finals, right? Let's get this over with!" calls out Ryoma, who already grips his tennis ball.

"Damn... but it's still only a kid's serve. I have nothing to worry about... It can't go 150 km/h. I'll break him right away!" says Sasabe to himself.

Echizen's serve

Ryoma throws the ball then hits it so quickly that Sasabe is left shell-shocked.

15 - 0

"Hm... that Sasabe is an idiot to think Ryoma is just a kid... He just has to see judge the book from its cover... Baka mitai," says Chiharu and Sakuno just nods.

"That kid's good." comments Aki.

"He is good, has a fast serve... but there's one thing we differ on..." say Sasabe to himself as he returns Ryoma's serve and runs to the net.

"...which is our height. With my height and reach, as long as I'm near the net, you have nowhere to hit it!" says Sasabe as he hits the ball. It goes back into Ryoma's court.

"Tch! That guy!" curses Chiharu as she clenches her fist.

15 - 15

"What's wrong, brat? What happened to all that energy from before?" mocks Sasabe.

30 - 40

Ryoma looks a little annoyed and have his serve again.

"Heh, once I'm near the net, it's all over!" says Sasabe to himself as he runs towards the net. Then Ryoma hits the ball and it flies to somewhere behind Sasabe.

Deuce

"It's like Ryoma trying to overcome the height difference using a high lob" says Sumire, satisfied.

"Heh... hontoni ne... that guy..." says Chiharu, smiling.

-:-:- Rolling Memory -:-:-

"Hey, you don't think Sasabe will lose to an elementary school kid, right?" asks Aki to Ichiya.

"This is bad... At this rate, I'll be a laughing stock," says Sasabe to himself. Then Ryoma serves again, Sasabe returns it then Ryoma hits it lob.

"Dammit! I can't catch it.. Go! Go out!" wishes Sasabe as he runs after the ball.

Then the ball lands near the line.