Chapter Twenty Three

** Olivia's POV**

I spend the ambulance journey staring at the monitor attached to my daughter. Her heartbeat is erratic but I'm only focusing on the fact that it's still beating. The sirens ring in my ears as we edge closer to the hospital.

"How bad is it?" I ask the medic, tears spilling down my face.

"There's no telling until they do tests Detective Benson. There is no telling what was in those pills. Your daughter is very sick."

I cry out - because hearing those words is my worst nightmare and now that nightmare is coming true.

When we arrive I follow behind the gurney as the medics rush Sky into the ER. My brain feels like it's shutting down, my heart breaking. I can't help but let the terror of losing my daughter overwhelm me. The doctors push me gently into the waiting room - a situation I'm all too familiar with.

Amanda is waiting for me and seeing her face only makes me sob even harder. She takes me into her arms, her own body shaking, her own tears splashing onto my shoulder.

"It's gonna be ok, it's gonna be ok." Amanda whispers, rubbing my back.

"Sky wouldn't hurt a fly and all these bad things keep happening to her. It's not right." I cry, my hands shaking.

"I know Liv. I know. We're gonna fix this I promise."

****

After 4 hours of sitting and waiting, a doctor walks out, removing his gloves as he walks towards us.

"Miss Benson?" He says as I stand up. "Your daughter is stable. I'm sorry to have to tell you this but we had to remove her womb."

There aren't any words for the horror that starts to spreads through my body. Nothing for me to say or do to make this any easier.

"Her womb.." I stutter.

"I'm sorry. We had no choice. The pills had caused too much damage. If we had left it, she wouldn't have made it."

Amanda makes a squeak like she's about to pass out from the shock. The doctors words echo around me, the room seeming to go into slow motion. My daughter will never be a mother to her own child. She'll never know the joy of watching them being born, watching their little eyes open for the first time.

The doctor walks away after pointing me in the direction of Sky's room. I don't move, can't move, can't do anything but stare into the darkness.

"How am I going to tell her, Amanda?" I whisper.

"Don't worry about that now Liv. What matters right now is that she's alive."

Amanda looks at me, her arms wrapping around me.

"Lets go and see her, yeah. Come on." She says, guiding me into the room.

Sky lies on the bed, wires snaking around her body. I know she'll be ok, she's my daughter and she's strong. However, I can't help but worry about what the future holds for her, or what disaster might happen next.