Chapter Eight

**Sky's POV**
I wish today didn't exist. My mom is driving me to the courthouse to see Barba for us to discuss the upcoming court case. Although Peter is dead, there are still the other men caught when they'd raided the warehouse. They are due to go on trial in a few weeks and I'm terrified.

I still haven't told anyone about the baby. Every time I picture telling my mom, all I can see is the pain and disappointment in her eyes.

All the happiness and joy is gone from my life, just like flowers crushed by winter. The weeds sprouting on the surface, ripping out all hope of anything wonderful.

When we arrive at the courthouse, I amble into the building, my mind busy and warped with painful memories.

"It will be ok Sky." My mom says, gripping my hand a little more tightly.

My mom always knows the right things to say. It's like she has a sensor built into her brain that gives her access to my memories. Or maybe it's that motherly instinct she's always going on about.

It almost sounds like the shadows are whispering as we pad down the corridor. I know everyone knows what happened to me. My mom is well known by many people around New York and my story had reached all of them.

"Sky." Barba says, shaking me from my thoughts. "Are you ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be." I reply, bending my fingers back one by one, hoping it'll dull the pain.

"They'll use their best tactics to break you. Don't let their comments get to you, and remember to keep your cool. If you do that, you'll be fine."

"Easier said than done." I say.

As the trial gets closer I regret ever agreeing to testify in the first place. But I don't know if I'd ever be able to live with myself if other people got hurt because I didnt say something.

"I know it's hard, especially after what happened. But you'll be playing right into their hands if you cause a scene. Are you sure you don't want to testify over video link?"

"No, I want to look into their eyes when I tell the court what they did to me."

Barba looks at me with concern in his eyes but he doesn't argue. I dont want them to know how scared I am. They don't need to know that I'm freaking terrified. I refuse to give them any more control over me.

This new found strength had arrived since I'd started my diet. You'd think the lowered intake would make me weaker but instead it's giving me strength I never knew existed. It just proves how much unnecessary crap I was putting inside my body before all this.

The rest of our discussion doesn't take long. As much as Barba is a good friend to my mom, his no nonsense facade terrifies me. The thought of fucking up when I testify is enough for me to want to elope and get as far away as possible.

When I wander back into the corridor I expect to find my mom buried in her latest read, but instead I see her talking to a girl.

I've never met the girl before but something about her feels familiar. A weird churning feeling starts up in my stomach.

"Sky.. this is Caroline. Bonnie's sister." My mom says.

My heart stops inside my chest before a series of thundering pounds rips through me. Down in the warehouse Bonnie had been my only friend, until one day - because of my actions - Peter had murdered her.

The girl looks so much like Bonnie. The same wild, unruly hair, the large round eyes and the persona of a wild animal. I choke back tears as I attempt to find words, any words, to say something about this situation.

"I'll leave you girls to it. I need to speak with Barba anyway."

I gape as she walks away, horrified she's leaving me alone with Bonnie's sister. Where the hell would I find the words to speak to her?

"You're Sky?" She says in little more than a whisper.

I nod my head and take the seat next to her.

"I don't blame you, you know?"

"I'm sorry about your sister. If it helps, she was there for me when I was down there, and she was brave at the end."

I hear Caroline trying to stifle her sobs, and I stare up at the ceiling, desperate to keep my emotions under control.

"I stayed with her. She didn't die alone. I made sure of that."

"Thank you. That's one of the things I was most hurt about, that she died alone and scared."

I turn towards Caroline, fighting for the courage to look into her eyes.

"She loved you. She'd be so proud of you, I know she would."

Caroline flings her arms around me, taking me aback. I let her cry into my shoulders, even though the act of someone touching me disgusts me. We stay like that for a while before she gets up to leave.

"Stay strong Sky. I hope everything works out for you."

Caroline walks down the corridor and disappears around a corner. When I'm sure she's gone, I let go and I sob until I can sob no more.