Chapter Ten

* Trigger warning for eating disorder behaviour*

Sky's POV.
The news of Caroline's death has hit me hard. I'd only seen her a couple of days ago and now she's dead. Before this - I'd believed my mom was acting paranoid about me still being in danger but she must be right.

Apart from the patrol car outside, I am alone in the apartment. My mom is picking something up from the station and I'd persuaded her to leave me here alone. She agreed on the condition I'd allow her to station a car outside, and I thought that was a fair agreement.

Emotions are cascading through me like an out of control train and my concentration is disappearing by the second. I'm so hungry and all I can think about is food.

I throw the book I'm reading onto my bed and pull my knees up to my chest. I thump my stomach in the hopes it'll destroy the hunger that is attacking my insides. Then, suddenly - like I'm a robot or something - I get up and head in the direction of the kitchen. My legs seem to be moving of their own accord. I try to force them to turn around but I just keep moving forwards.

When I get to the kitchen, I start opening cupboards and pulling boxes off the shelves. I begin cramming food into my mouth and I keep going and going until the packaging of 3 cereal boxes, 6 chocolate bars and a loaf of bread are staring up at me.

I back away from the mess I've created - my mind in shock that I'd eaten so much food in less than 10 minutes.

I burst into tears - all my hard work, all my control and self denial has been for nothing. I have to get rid of it - I have to get it out of my body. Right now.

I sprint to the bathroom, not even bothering to shut the door. All I care about at this moment is getting rid of the food. I shove my fingers down my throat and push on my gag reflux. I gag several times before I throw up. And then I throw up again, and again and again. Until the evidence of my failure is sitting in the bottom of the toilet.

Satisfied, I flush the toilet. Then I start scrubbing. After I'm done, I brush my teeth and head back into the kitchen. I gather together the empty packets of food, sweep the crumbs from the floor and take the trash out.

I feel better. I love the empty feeling sitting in the pit of my stomach. And I feel glorious - like I'm made of steel, like I'm invincible.