19. 'It's alright. You can touch if you want'

Chapter Nineteen.

I hate heels.

I do, and they probably hate me. It could be a mutual thing, like the tough relation-ship I had with rocky surfaces.

I closed my eyes, moaning in pleasure while I took them off. My feet pounded and I lost feeling on many of my toes. I couldn’t deny how elegant people look with heels but they were bad for circulation.

I let myself fall back on the unfamiliar bed. Evan’s grandparents had made us stay the night, alleging it was too late to drive all the way back to Crookwell. But deep down, I knew it was an excuse to have their grand-son with them a little longer. I couldn’t blame them, they were probably afraid of not seeing him again after this night.

I stared at the ceiling, feeling the soft king size bed beneath me. I smiled, remembering how awkward it’d been when they asked us if Evan and I wanted to share a room. They tried to be open-minded about it but I saw the look of relief on their faces when I said we wanted separated rooms.  Evan gave me a strange look but the last thing I wanted was to scandalize his grandparents on the first time meeting them. Plus, there is so much temptation I can handle for one day. And Evan looked so hot that night, sleeping in the same bed with him wasn’t the smartest idea if I wanted to keep my V card with me.

The room was ridiculously spacious as it was expected from such big mansion. I wondered why Evan’s grandparents were rich. I mean, were did the money come from? Was it a family company thing or just heritage?

My thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door.

“Come in!” I said, sitting up.

Helen stuck her head inside and smiled at me, “Hey, you’re busy?”

I returned the smile, “No, come in.”

As she walked in, I stared at her gorgeous green dress. She walked expertly in her silver heels, she was used to them. Her brown hair was all in curly waves at the sides of her face. Her make-up looked professional and beautiful detailed. It was then I noticed the resemblance between her and Evan. Their faces had almost the same perfect, delicate features.

She bent over to give me a kiss on the cheek, “I haven’t seen you in a while,”

Then, she sat next to me, “Yeah, you look gorgeous.”

“So do you.”

“Where were you? I didn’t see you down there.” I asked out of curiosity.

She sighed, “I was late and then I was swallowed by some uncles and aunts. They kept talking and talking and I just had to sit there and listen.”

I gave her a curious look, “Why?”

“Because, according to my entire family, that is the polite thing to do.” She explained, massaging her ankles, “How are you?”

“Good, you?”

She lowered her gaze, “I’m… fine, I guess.” I knew she was not fine. Having her this close, I could see the sadness in her eyes and her defeated posture, and then she said the last thing I expected to her from her, “I’m glad he forgave you.” I froze. I knew she referred to Evan.

“You are?” I asked shocked. Helen had threatened to kick my ass if I ever hurt Evan so why was she saying this and being nice to me?

“Don’t look so surprise,” she looked at me, “We all make mistakes. It is in our human nature. It just happens, it’s nature’s way to keep life interesting.”

“That is a deep explanation.” I admitted, “I’m really sorry. I never meant to hurt him.”

She held my hand, “Jules, you don’t have to apologize to me. You already did to him and he accepted your apology and that is all that matters now.” She squeezed my hand, “Besides, I know he hurt you a lot in the beginning when he was fighting his feelings for you. He kept pulling you to him and then pushing you away. And still, you never gave up on him. You never let hurt affect the way you felt about him.”