26. "Don't touch it. It's pounding."

Dear readers, sorry for the long wait. If you didn't read my letter

Chapter Twenty-six

I counted on hours of tears and pain, on rainy days, on pretended smiles.

I thought the next day was going to be resumed in that. I thought the pain in my chest would be enough to ravish any spot of happiness in my birthday.

I thought...

I thought...

I thought so much, my mind skipped something really important.

My friends.

Those crazy human beings capable of doing everything for me, of crossing the world to make me smile.

So the next morning when I showed up at the bonfire spot, they didn't ask me about Evan, all they had to do was to take one single look at my face to know something had definitely gone wrong. They knew I didn't want to talk about it, they knew I couldn't talk about it. I was barely keeping myself together.

And without even saying a word, they made me smile. Why? Well, they looked like crap.

The spot where the bonfire had taken place looked like a mess. Leaves and rocks were all scattered around the chunks of woods we used as seats. There were bottles of rum and plastic glasses as well. And my friends looked like they had gone through the apocalypse and survived. Hell, more like they didn't survive and I was facing their zombie bodies.

To be a little more precise, their hairs looked like they could be the perfect accommodation for birds, with leaves and all. Their clothes had stains of mud and dirt and their faces... oh God. I was chuckling by that point.

Lau sat on the ground, yawning and whining about her back. Jordan was behind her, rubbing his face. Helen was lying on the ground, still asleep, using Jason's coat as pillow. Jason was shivering because he was only in his thin t-shirt. His lips were purple. Nadia was next to him, trying to start the fire again with trembling hands. Nash lied on his back, holding his head dramatically, murmuring things about alcohol being the most damaging liquid to ever exist. And Shane was in the same position next to him but he wasn't speaking so I had no idea if he was awake or not.

The night had been hard on them. It was even funnier seeing Nash and Nadia in this state. They'd always been so neat and organized. Messy wasn't an adjective for them and that morning, they looked beyond that.

After Nadia started the fire, she pulled out some sticks and marshmallows from her backpack. Wow, she seemed prepared for everything.    

Lau was the first one to speak, "Morning, sunshine." Somehow her bright smile told me everything was going to be okay. I returned the smile, surprising myself.

Nadia held up her stick with a marshmallow, "We're cooking breakfast, you want some?" she started handing sticks filled with marshmallows around.

Nash grimaced at his own stick, "This is unsanitary. We are going to get a stomach infection after this, I know it."

"Give it to me if you don't want it," Jason extended his hand towards Nash.

"No," Nash shook his head, "I'm starving."

"Ah," Shane groaned. "Stop making so much noise. My head is going to explode." He opened his eyes slowly, grunting. His hazel eyes landed on me and I watched him scrutinize my face in silence. I swallowed. He sat up, squeezing his hands at his sides. His anger was clear on his expression.

I averted my gaze.

"Hey pumpkin," Jordan called out to me, "Have a seat. I know this isn't exactly the most luxurious birthday breakfast but oh well,"