17. 'Come out of your shell, little turtle'

Chapter Seventeen

I was sleeping on a cloud, a big, soft and very comfortable cloud.

In the distance, I could hear my phone ringing but the cloud wouldn’t let go of me. And I couldn’t blame it. We had some great sleeping relation-ship going on there. I smiled, burying my face in the cloud.

However, my phone wouldn’t stop ringing and it was starting to get on my nerves. Lazily, I extended my hand towards the night table to grab it which ended up with my hand knocking down my phone until it landed on the floor with a thud. I groaned, opening my eyes. I waited for my sight to adjust to my surroundings. My room was still a little dark.

What time was it?

I dragged half of my body out of the bed to pick up my phone. I lay back down, answering it.

“Hello?” my voice sounded thick and sleepy.

“Hey, Jules!” I didn’t recognize that voice.

“Who’s this?”

“It’s Mike.” He replied energetic, “Did I wake you up? I’m sorry.”

“What time is it?”

“6: 40 am.”

“What?” I glanced at my window. The sun was not up yet but I could see the orange tinting the sky, “You better have a good reason for calling at this hour,” I said annoyed. I hated people waking me up, specially so early on a Saturday morning.

“Listen, I just wanted to thank you for last night,”

“You could have wait for a decent hour to tell me that,” I groaned, closing my eyes.

“Sorry. I couldn’t wait. I had a great night with Linda and it was all thanks to you,”

“Mike, the credit is all yours. I was just keeping you guys company for a while.” I heard a noise coming from my side. I glanced at my window, frowning. Something seemed to be hitting it.

“But without you, she wouldn’t have gone to the club at all.” Mike kept talking but I tuned him out. I sat up, staring at my window. I saw something small clashing against it. Was that a rock?

I frowned, pushing the covers off me and swinging my feet out of the bed.

“Jules? Are you listening to me?” Mike asked seriously.

“Yeah? Sorry, what were you saying?”

“I was wondering if you want to grab a cup of coffee. You know to thank you for last night.” I peeked through my window and my eyes widened.

“I can’t. I gotta go, Mike.” I hung up, gazing down at my front yard.

Jason was standing among the bushes, he looked pretty bad. His hair was all messy but not in a disheveled way, more like in a homeless way. His lips were purple, and he shook every once in a while. He was probably cold. Why? Well, he only wore his black boxers. He looked up to throw another rock when he saw me. Relief went through his face. I pushed my window up, opening it.

“What the hell, Jason?” I whispered.

“Open the back door.” He said, rushing to the back of my house. This wasn’t like my previous house where he could climb up the window. Here it was too high for that.

Sometime later, Jason walked inside my room. He was shaking pretty badly. I touched him and he was so cold.

“Jesus! You’re cold, like Edward Cullen cold.” I wrapped one of my sheets around him, “Are you trying to get sick?” I reprehended. Summer was gone and the weather was not the most appropriate one to be walking around the trees in a pair of boxers.