40. You'll be a great writer someday

Evan Woods.

Saturday 07:30 p.m.

"What's going on?" I asked for the third time in the day.

Helen and Aunt Paula paced around the living room without stopping. They had me sitting on the couch, alleging I needed to sit down for this. It'd been ten minutes and all they'd done is share knowing glances, bite their nails and pace around.

I sighed tiredly, "For how long are going to do this?"

Aunt Paula cleared her throat, "Just be patient, honey. This isn't easy for her."

I stared at Helen who looked pale, white as paper, "What is it?"

They were starting to scare me. It looked like it was serious thing, "Helen," I called out, making her stop. She looked at me, sucking both of her lips into her mouth and letting them out again. She opened her mouth to speak but shut it.

Aunt Paula swung her arms around, exasperated, "Oh for God sakes, she's-"

"I'm pregnant." Helen cut her off.

My first reaction: Laugh.

I laughed it off, "Right." They didn't laugh with me, "Very funny. I'll give you guys points for acting. You did great."

Aunt Paula gave me a piteous look, "She's not joking, Evan."

Helen hung her head.

"She has to be." I insisted, the smile vanishing from my face, "She doesn't have a boyfriend. they broke up like three months ago." I looked at Helen, "You told me that. You weren't lying. You wouldn't lie to me, right?"

"No, I would never lie to you." I smiled again only to have it vanished again from my face when Helen continued, "But I saw him after that. Jules' birthday... we were drunk and-"

"No." I cut her off, jumping to my feet, "Are you freaking serious right now?"

Helen lowered her head, "I'm sorry."

My jaw dropped to the floor, "Oh, shit! You're being serious right now! Oh holy shit!" it was my turn to pace around, "I'll kill him! I'll kill that bastard! I'll fucking kill him!" I held my head.

Helen winced. Aunt Paula reached for me, "Calm down, Evan."

"Holy shit! My little sister is pregnant and you want me to calm down? To hell calming down, I'll kill him!" I headed for the door.

"No!" Aunt Paula ran after me, holding my arm, "Don't open the door! There's snow blocking it!"

I released myself from her grab, knowing she was right. Realization hit me with force, "This was your plan all along. Telling me during the snowstorm so I couldn't go out and kill him."

Aunt Paula looked guilty, "Well, yeah."

"Ah! You sneaky women!" I groaned, walking to my room, "I'll kill him tomorrow! Or the day after that! Don't doubt it!"

I left them there. I needed some time alone to digest this.

Sunday 08:06 p.m.

Grief...

I wrote the word and then put the pen between my teeth for a moment. I stared at the cup of coffee on the table in front of me, right next to my keyboard.

Mom's smile came to my mind and she was suddenly behind me, placing the cup on my table, like a fading memory.

"Writing again?" she whispered, putting her hand on my shoulder.