39. "Oh Jules... you're so beautiful"

Chapter thirty-nine

You can do this, Jules.

I squeezed my hands at my sides.

The door in front of me looked big and terrifying. It was a normal door, what terrified me was what was behind it. Something I'd been consciously ignoring for my entire life or more like someone. Pretending he didn't exist was the best thing I could do to live a normal life, without the pain of rejection or abandonment getting to me.

He had a beautiful Victorian house, just two hours away from our town. It pained me to know he lived this close and he never reached out to us. It looked like he'd been doing great in life. An angry smile formed on my lips, remembering all those time Mom sacrificed herself to keep a roof above our heads and food on our table and that man never had the decency to reach out to see if we had died of hunger. How can you leave your five year old child and your wife like that?

I knocked on the door and Nadia opened it for me. She looked nervous and a little anxious, "Hey." I waved my hand, trying to act casual.

Nash appeared behind her, "Hi, come in, please."

I stepped inside the house and it was as big as it looked on the outside, very modern furniture, big stairs, cozy fireplace.

It's a home.

I put my hands in front of me, slightly uncomfortable. Nash held my shoulder, "Thank you for coming. We really appreciate it, he-"

I raised my hand, interrupting him, "Let's get this over with. Where is he?" I didn't intent to sound as harsh as I did but I couldn't help it. That situation brought out a cold side of me I didn't know I had.

"He's over here. Follow me." Nadia gestured a hallway, next to the stairs. I followed her in silence, Nash behind us.

She knocked on a wooden door and we heard a 'Come in'

Nadia opened the door for me, stepping aside for me to walk in. Slowly, I entered the bright room.

A man that looked older than his age, was sitting up in a big king bed. He was completely bald, and very thin. An IV was connected to his left arm. He looked so weak, it was upsetting. His big blue eyes met mine and the resemble between us was unbelievable.

He smiled, tears forming in his eyes, "Jules?"

I swallowed, just standing there, "Hello."

His shaky hand covered his mouth, "Oh Jules, you're so... beautiful."

"Thank you." I said curtly, fighting the tears that menaced to water my eyes.

He extended his hand towards me, "Come closer, Jules. Let me see you."

I glanced at Nadia and Nash behind me and they nodded, getting out of the room. I walked closer until I stood in front of his bed. Up closer, his skin looked dry and so fragile. I didn't expect him to look so sick. He didn't seem to be getting better any time soon.

Was he dying?

And why did it pain me to even consider that question?

He was nothing to me.

"You grew up to be as beautiful as your mother." I clenched my teeth at the mention of my mother.

"Yeah, I grew up healthy and good. No thanks to you by the way." I spat at him and he didn't even look hurt by my words.