Epilogue

I never knew it was possible for there to be so much balance in my life.

  I was so used to chaos, change, hypocrisy, and envy, growing up in the glamorous Upper East side. But now, here in my cozy house in the suburbs of New Jersey, I had never felt more at ease. Everything was perfect.

  My mom and Peter couldn't seem any happier. It was actually kinda disturbing at times. Sometimes they'd forget that Adam and I were in the room and they'd barely keep their hands off each other. Ick.

  As for Adam and I... well what can I say. The beautiful magical night we spent together was still in our minds. How could we forget! Especially because he kept his promise about "practice makes perfect." And it sure did....

It was Monday morning, and we were all having a small breakfast, Adam and I ready to go to school.

  "I feel weird not going to Clinton St. Baking Company, and getting a croissant before going to school with Alexis." I said, as I swallowed down my cereal.

  "Oh, Alexis will be just fine. You'll love Piscataway High." Peter said, "plus, you have Adam to show you around." Peter got up from his chair and lightly whacked Adam behind the head with his newspaper, "I better not hear any complaints from Serena."

  "Yeah, yeah, Serena has nothing to worry about. She's getting the best service from the most popular guy at school." He grinned at me and winked, and I smiled back, trying my hardest nor to blush, as memories of him sneaking into my room last night flooded my mind.

"Good! I want my little Serena to feel welcome." My mother reached other and pinched my cheek, "She's my little princess."

  "Mom." I groaned, swatting her hand away as Adam laughed.

  "Well, you two should get going. I know you don't want to be late for your first day." Peter said, checking his watch. "Drive carefully. And I better not get another call from your principal telling me they took your phone away for texting in class, Adam. you hear?"

  I laughed, while Adam blushed, "Yes dad! Alright, we're leaving now before I get another lecture!"

  My mom and Peter smiled as we made our way outside to the moist, hot morning. I actually felt a little anxious and excited to be going to school in a new place. especially because I'd be in a few classes with my amazing boyfriend... who unfortunately I couldn't kiss or anything because he also happened to be my stepbrother.

  Life can be so unfair. I finally managed to get a boyfriend and I have to keep him a secret. Sigh.

  "You nervous?" Adam asked as he turned on the car. He grabbed my hand and squeezed it gently as he reached over and gave me a light kiss.

"A little." I admitted. "And excited. I can't wait to see how much you participate in your classes. I bet you never even let the other students answer any questions."

  Adam laughed as we began driving off to school, "Don't be a smart ass, baby. I'm just excited we get to go to school together." Suddenly he pouted, as he squeezed my hand "What sucks is that I won't be able to make out with you at our lockers. I won't get a good luck kiss before a football game." Frowning, "I wanna experience that whole sappy high school sweetheart stuff with you."

  "Aw, Adam!" I kissed his cheek, "Of course I wanna do all that stuff. How about I'll always give you a kiss before school and one before a football game?"

  He looked at me and gave me that little smile that always made my heart flip, "That's good, for now. Then maybe I'll get a little more than a kiss?"

  He grinned and I laughed, playfully hitting him as we pulled up into one of those typical old looking brick schools I had only seen in movies (I was pretty sure this school didn't have marble floors and a professional French chef making their lunch meals).

  "Welcome to Piscataway High!" Adam faked enthusiasm as he pulled into a parking space. A lot of people were socializing and talking, girls screaming and telling each other how much they missed each other, blah blah you know the drill. Fortunately, no one was looking at our direction so Adam and I would be able to talk and well, you know.

  He turned off the engine and then turned his body to look at me, his hand softly caressing the side of my face, "So our first day of senior year huh?"

  "Yes sir." I said, turning my face down so I could kiss his hand, "I hope it's a good year."

  "It will be, baby." He leaned in and gave me a tender butterfly kiss on my lips. It was enough to make my knees weak, "I wanna say something quick, before we go in. "

  I nodded and said nothing, waiting for him to go on, and what he said next took me completely by surprise.

  "I know it's gonna be hard, you know, not being able to do typical stuff that other couples can do. And... It makes me so mad that we can't. But I want you to know that even if I can't hold your hand down the hallway, or kiss you before you go to class, that I love you, and I wish that we could do that. Okay?"

  I smiled and leaned in, hugging him tightly and kissing him all over his face "Oh baby, of course, and I know we'll get by... It will be tough. But we can get through anything as long as we're together."

  He smiled back, "Absolutely, baby. Now time to begin the first day of the rest of our lives."

  We stepped out of the car, and my heart began racing a little as I looked at all the strangers surrounding me, realizing starting a new school was easier said than done.

  Adam sensed my nervousness because he gave my hand and gentle squeeze, "You ready?"

  I looked at him, and saw that reassuring smile that reminded me I wasn't alone in this. And I wouldn't be, "I'm ready."

"Remember, we're in this together, baby. I'm here for you."

  I nodded and smiled, as we put on the same facade of stepbrother and stepsister we were bored of doing. But with Adam's hand on the slight curve of my back, as he led and guided me, let me know that despite all the problems we had, and all the rocks in our way, that I definitely wasn't alone, and that we would be together in whatever crossed our way. And that's what mattered.