Chapter 29

Who knew so much could change in one week?

  My mom went from breaking up her marriage, to suddenly realizing she had a problem and reconciling with Peter. And I went from a beautiful relationship, to suddenly single.

  And it was staying that way from the looks of it.

*******************************************

  It was already late August at this point. School would be starting in about a week and a half.

   To make things easier for my mom, who wanted to get away from the pressure of high society we faced in the Upper East Side, I decided to just start school here in Piscataway. Not only that, but I didn't want Adam to hate me any more than he already did, and make him uproot his whole entire life. Anyways, as much as I would miss Alexis, I was happier here. My friends were great. It would be nice to attend a school where people weren't as stuck up like they were at mine.

  By now, most of our things were moved in. Mom and Peter seemed happier than ever. My mom even decided to set up an office here so that she could spend some more time with us here at home. which was great because I finally felt like we were becoming a family again.

  Well, almost.

  There was always Adam. Irrational, hardheaded Adam. Although he wasn't being mean anymore, he was just distant. 

  Like the first day of us having moved back in, and we settled down down to have dinner.

Mom and Peter had cooked up a delicious lasagna together (who knew my mom could cook) and we had sat down and began discussing enrolling me here in school.

  "Don't worry Serena, I know you must be a little scared about starting a new school," Peter was saying, "but at least you'll have Adam to keep you company and show you around."

  I looked over at Adam, who had simply done a simple smile and nodded.

  "Well, we'll see about that." I said politely, knowing I would be alone. Well, almost alone since I did have some friends here.

"Oh, this school year is going to be great!" my mother, the optimist, said. "I can't wait to pack your lunches and send you off to school. I finally feel like a homemaker."

  Peter laughed while Adam and I just chuckled. He looked over at me, with a tiny smile, and for a moment I thought he would talk to me later that night, but no, nothing.

**********************************

Tonight was different though. Mom and Peter had gone out for dinner, letting us fiend for our own. I knew they would be staying out late because my mom had bothered to say, "Don't wait up!" before heading out the door. I did not want to know what they were up to.

  I was home alone (as always) not wanting to cling on to Adam, while he hung out with our friend group. Tanya had insisted I come along, but I passed. Tonight, my date was the remote control.

As I settled for some cheesy Tom Cruise movie from the 80s before he got his teeth fixed, the door opened and in strolled Adam, coming into the living room.

I saw him do a double take, of me in my skimpy little shorts and tank top, and I thought he was about to leave, when instead he came and sat down next to me on the sofa.

Well, not exactly next to me. More like at the other end. Still, on the same sofa though.

"Um, hey?" I said a little bewildered.