chapter 28

I felt like I was in the scene of a romantic comedy/drama.

  A woman, finally realizing the mistake she had made by filing for divorce, breaking every traffic code law and driving like a madwoman to win her man back. I can't even begin to tell you how many times we were close to hitting some pedestrian.

  "Mom! Maybe I should drive!" I yelled as she almost rammed into a street sign. We had finally arrived in Piscataway and I wasn't about to have her get arrested when we were this close.

  "No, no, driving calms my nerves." She suddenly made a u-turn and I practically flew to the back seat.

  "Are you sure!?" I yelled again as I held on to the door handle.

  She turned to look at me and smiled, "Mhmm."

  I smiled too, even if I was fearing for my life at the moment.

  We finally pulled up to our street and my heart began racing as I saw Peter's old car parked in the driveway. Along with that was Adam's car.

  My mom lousily parked near the house, knocking down the next door neighbor's mailbox. I shook my head, telling myself to tell Tori to send them an apologetic gift basket for that.

  We stepped out of the car and my mom suddenly froze, her eyes wide open as she stared ahead at the house.

  I walked over to her, my face puzzled. "What's wrong, mom?"

  She swallowed hard, "I don't know what I'm going to say," her voice came out almost a whisper. "What if I say the wrong thing?"

I chucked empathetically and wrapped my arms around her, "Oh mom, tell him the truth. Tell him everything you feel. And I can assure you that it won't be the wrong thing."

  I looked up at her and she nodded, "Yes, you're right." She squeezed my hands and gave me a tender, loving smile, "What would I do without you, my Serena?"

  "I ask myself that same exact question," I replied and she laughed as she gave me one last look before heading off to search for her happiness.

  As we stood there, my mom's finger inches away from the doorbell, all I could do was think about her happiness. It didn't work out with Adam and I. It didn't work out since day one. And some things, no matter how painful they were, you just had to accept their reality. And this was mine. He was my stepbrother. And only that. Never anything more.

  She took a deep breath and rang the doorbell. It took a few seconds, before a tired looking Peter suddenly looked like a confused looking Peter, as he stood in the doorway.

  "Lorena? Serena? What are you doing here?" His voice was full of surprise.

  My mom opened her mouth. But nothing came out. She just stood there, mouth wide open, while Adam came, standing right next to his father, looking angry.

  "What are you doing here?" He demanded. He looked at me and for a moment, it seemed like he softened. But he swallowed hard and went back to looking at my still speechless mother.

  I gave her a nudge and she suddenly seemed to recapacitate again. "I just... I just wanted to talk to you Peter. Please, I..." She paused, as if she were searching for the right words to say, "I need to explain some things to you."

  "We don't want to hear your lame excuses, Lorena." Adam snapped, stepping up in front of Peter.

  But a speechless, surprised Peter suddenly grimaced, and put his hand on Adam's shoulder, pushing him back and making him face him. "No son, you may not want to hear Lorena. But I do."

  A look of shame overcame Adam, as Peter motioned for us to step inside. I suddenly felt like I was home again, as I looked around the house, many pictures of Peter and my mom still up everywhere.

  "Let's talk in my office, Lorena." Peter said softly, looking at my mother tenderly, as he set his hand on her back and gently guided her.

   I felt a pang in my heart as a sense of Deja Vu filled me. That look, that soft voice, that care, Peter had for my mother.

  It was exactly that of my father.

  I didn't remember much. But I remembered how he looked at my mother as if she were the most beautiful diamond in the whole entire universe. As if he couldn't imagine life without her. And as if he wanted to spend every single waking moment in his life with her because he couldn't imagine being without her.

  I remembered those small details. Because those small details were things that I knew I wanted one day.

  I was alone with Adam in the living room, and he stayed quiet as he sat on the side, just looking at the floor and a thoughtful look over his face.

  I sat down next to him, feeling my heart tightening, because no matter what, I still loved him, I still would do anything to hold his hand at least one more time. Because I loved him and he had finally given me those small details that I had once given up on.

  He looked up at me, and at that moment, he gave me the same exact look he gave me that night in the attic. The night when he forgot about everything else and kissed me because all that mattered was that I loved him back.

  I wanted that moment back so badly. But I had a feeling it wouldn't happen.

  "What does your mother want, Serena?" He asked softly, the anger in his voice gone, but his eyes still avoiding mine.

  "She realized she made a mistake, Adam." I sighed, "I don't expect you to understand. But I do expect you to respect whatever decision our parents make. Because at the end of the day, they have to do whatever makes them happy."

  I was going to stop there. But I felt the knot in my stomach getting tighter, as I softly said, "Like we once did."

  I heard him swallow hard. He said nothing, just like I had expected, but not how I wanted. Then he sighed and said, "You're right. You're right about that. You're usually always right," He looked up at me and our eyes met as he added, "Serena." My name barely a whisper.

  And I begged with every single cell in my body that he at least give me one kiss, that he at least told me he still loved me.

  But at that moment, our parents came in, both faces serious. But it wasn't the seriousness they had these last few days before everything exploded. Because this time, they both had a twinkle in their eyes, and though my heart was breaking over my lost relationship, I was happy about one relationship having the chance to be saved.

  "So," Peter began, and I knew he was trying hard to hide a smile, "There are going to be some changes around here, again...."