chapter 6

I finished school that same week Mom and Peter were on their honeymoon(they could only go away for a week because of Peter's job).It was Still mid may,but I had taken all the AP tests and I didn't have to take finals because of them,so I was done!

And even though that was a bright side, I would be moving to Piscataway,New Jersey,the next week.

I hadn't seen Adam since he insulted me that night.Today,moving day,would be the first day.

"Cheer up,Serena,"my mom said to me as she caught me staring out my bedroom window,where I had a perfect view of Central Park,"change is good."

I rolled my eyes even though she couldn't see. It's only for the summer.it's only for the summer, I kept reminding myself.3 long months in the suburbs.a city girl's worst nightmare.

I turned to look at my mom,Adam's words echoing in my head,"Mom?"

"Yes,sweetie?"

"Am I ugly?"

This was one of the worst questions you could ask your mom because she was obviously gonna say"Of course not!" It's not like she could tell her daughter, ''Goats are more attractive than you sweetie''

She looked at me curiously,"Well I never expected you to ask me this,but no you are not."a familiar smile came across her face and i knew who she was thinking of,''You have you're father's same beautiful jade green eyes,and that lovely caramel complexion any body would die to have.You're far from ugly"

Then why do I feel ugly?Why am I still single?

Now she gave me a look of concern,"Why,did someone say you were ugly?Who?"

I chuckled,although i wasn't going to tell her it was Adam.My mom liked him and even though I was dying to,I wanted my mom to keep thinking of Adam as a saint."It was just a question.I just...I don't know,i just wish I would fix myself more."And I meant it.I never bothered to fix myself because it's not like anyone has paid attention to me anyways,but I wanted to do it for myself.Not to get some boyfriend, but because i wanted to feel better about myself!

"Well...Peter and Adam aren't due for another 5 hours"she smiled"Would you like to go shopping?"

I nodded with a smile and she gleamed"Great!let's go sweetie!When these new jersey boys see you,they won't be able to keep their hands off of you!"

I stopped her,"mom wait"

"Yes?"
"Um,I kinda wanna fix myself..for me.Not for some guy.I wanna feel better about myself.Because I don't need a man to make me happy.My first source of happiness should be provided by myself,not by a guy."Wow,I could definelty write the next Feminine Mystique book for the modern world.

My mom smiled happily,"Oh,my little feminist.If only i was as strong as you.I could've avoided myself many heartbreaks these past years."

I patted her back lightly,"Well Peter  seems nice.''

She nodded,"He is.But no matter what,your father will always be my first love."

I smiled sadly,"I know.I miss him."

My mom wiped a little tear,"well lets not get sad now! I believe we have some shopping to do!"

After 4 hours of going up and down 5th avenue,we were done.

I wasn't exactly letting to of my tomboy ways,but I had bought nicer jeans,ones that fit me nicely and outlined my curves instead of the shapeless,faded jeans i usually wore.And I bought pretty shirts too,also that oulined my toned body,and threw out all my baggy t-shirts.Now that i thought of it,I looked horrible! No wonder no one belived me when l told them Lorena LaDolce,the cosmetic line creator of LaDolce cosmetics,was my mother!No one would associate me,a plain girl who wore her clothes 2 sizes bigger so that it would be baggier,with my mother,who always wore the finest clothes.