chapter 25

I didn't know what to do.

  Four divorces, same routine. Mom files for divorce, the ex gets angry and threatens to "ruin her" as he packs his bags, mom is a statue, cries for days over half empty buckets of Ben n' Jerry's, visits therapists four times a week, takes a trip somewhere exotic to search herself, and meets a new man she claims "is the one."

  I seriously had it narrowed down.

  But not this time. This time was different. This time I was emotionally attached, not only to my stepfather, but to my stepbrother.

  Deeply, emotionally attached.

  Not that it mattered. According to my stepbrother who "loved me" less than 24 hours ago, this was one "big" mistake. The marriage? Or our relationship? I may never know, since he was avoiding me like a plague.

  Even when I sent a text to him, no reply. I heard his phone ring through the paper thin walls, but no reply.

  I tossed and turned in bed that night, my stomach in knots, my face damp with silent, muffled tears I tried to hide under my pillow. How could my mom do this again? Did she not see all the emotional damage she was doing? Did my father's death impact her so much that she felt no man could ever make her happy again?

  That's it. I couldn't stand back and let her do this again. I had a backbone now. It was time for me to stand up to my mother and help her realize the mess she was making before it was too late.

  I got out of bed, not caring that my alarm clock said 2:53 am and headed over to my mother's room, knowing damn well Peter was sleeping in his office downstairs.

  I opened my mother's door without knocking, and found her awake. Even with the moonlight steaming through the window, I could see her blinking slowly as she stared up at the ceiling, an empty bottle of wine standing on her night table.

  "Mom," I called out softly, still standing in the doorway, staring at the women who always looked so perfect in magazines, looking so defeated. I turned the lights on and saw her pale face foe the first time, eyes red, no make up, lips dry. I didn't recognize her.

  "Yes, sweetheart?" She croaked out, eyes still pinned on the ceiling.

  I wanted nothing more but to hug her, console her. Tell her everything was going to be okay. But instead, I moved to the edge of her bed, sat down and stared. All my anger towards her that I had suddenly disappeared. Now, all I felt was pity for a woman who no longer knew how to commit.

  She chuckled softly and our eyes met at that moment, "You must think I look a mess, don't you?"

I didn't. "No mom, you always look so beautiful." I said softly.

  She finally sat up, and lied against the headboard, patting the space next to her and inviting me to join her.

  I moved up close next to her, also lying my back against the headboard, staring straight ahead at the framed picture of her and Peter on their wedding day.

  "Is something bothering you, sweetheart?" She began to sound like her old self again.

  "Yes." I said softly. It was now or never. "Yes, mom, something is bothering me. And it has to do with you."

  She didn't answer right away. I felt her stiffened as she finally said, "Alright, what is it?"

  I let out a deep breath, feeling nervous all of a sudden. I had never stepped in any of my mother's marriages before. I felt like it was never my business. Until now. "Adam and I overheard you talking to aunt Lydia."

  My mother shook her head, sighing. "You were eavesdropping? Didn't I raise you -"

"No mom, we weren't eavesdropping." I said defensively, "And even if we were, I have every right to know that my mom is planning on going on her fifth divorce and possibly her 7th marriage."

  "Serena!" she exclaimed, eyes wide. "Whatever I do is none of your business!"

  I pulled away and stood up, looking down at her, "You know what mom, it is my business, this time." I felt my voice getting shaky and I knew what was coming next. But I hardened myself. "Because for the first time, I finally have a stepfather who genuinely cares about you and I, and not our money. I have friends who like me for me and not for our beach house in St. Lucia. And for once" I stopped for a second to sob "I finally found people who care about me and who gave me a home. Which is something I can say I never had growing up, with you always traveling and marrying selfish greedy men. So don't you dare tell me that this isn't my business. Because it became my business the minute I grew attached to these people." And to Adam.

    My mother's mouth was open, but no words came out. Her face was just shocked. She was speechless.

  I began to head out, but before opening the door, I turned and said softly, "So before you decide "it wasn't what you thought it would be," think about what you'll be throwing away. Because this Peter is the first man to make you truly happy since Dad and you know it."

   And with that, I left her room.

  My legs were shaking as I headed to my room, a thick knot in my throat, and tears waiting to come out. But before entering my room, I saw Adam quickly turn off his lights and heard him scramble to his bed.

  And I realized, Adam heard the whole thing.