Chapter - 18

I've been handling the conversation really well for almost the whole time while Alex kept quiet with his cold vibe. But that was until his parents changed the topic and asked us how we started dating. I was flabbergasted, for a minute I thought they were throwing jokes to erased some tension from the room, but their faces were not joking, I looked at Alex with a questioning eye, as he continued to eat his dinner as if this was all normal.

"Satisfied now that you've met her?" Alex finally poured out a word.

"Xander, she's your girlfriend and as your parents we ought to meet her." His Mum protested, her tone somehow sound as if she was trying to please Alex and oh she called him Xander, that was new.

"I'm sorry, I think there's a big misunderstanding here." I stated firmly, I got to be very careful about the words I used, Alex's parents looked at me with a questioning eyes, before I could form another word and tell them we were not dating at all, Alex grabbed my hand and said, "Now that you've got what you want, stay out of this matter," He stood up, "Enjoy your flight back in Washington." He said the last words as he pulled me up from where I was sitting and out with him.

Everything was happening so fast and I did not have time to digest what had just happened, as soon as we stepped out from the dining hall, Alex let go of my hand, "I will meet you in a few minutes." And he left me, as I stood there gobsmacked.

What was that? That was by far the most surprising thing ever, first to be stated, Alex and his father did not talk to each other for the whole time, and second, was Alex mad with his parents? Their relationship looked more than strained and third, what the hell was Alex playing at? Me posing as his girlfriend in front of his parents?

I did not even have the time to be mad and shout at him as everything was such a blur and the moment I recalled everything and how weird it was, Alex was nowhere to be found. I sighed, as I wandered around the castle like mansion.

Half an hour flew by and I found myself at the rooftop. The night was beautiful and the view was perfect.

I was on the top floor of the rich Bilimoria's Mansion. And thought about how money was not the sole reason for our happiness, somebody had all these things in his hands yet he looked emptier than everyone, I cannot even dare to imagine a dinner like that with my family, they looked almost like sworn enemies who are ready to shoot at each other the minute anything went wrong.

"Lost in thought?" I heard Alex's voice behind my back and for a second, I wished it would be anyone other than him, even Jack the Ripper. I was enjoying the cold breeze and the aura of silence so much, I had no time to deal with a spoilt brat who thinks that the world revolves around him.

"I have an explanation, if you want to hear one," He continued to say as he came and sat beside me. I did not care to answer and ignored him right straight to his face as I continued to stare at the bright moon. I was mad, and that's how I am when I'm mad, I kept quiet, really quiet. I remembered not talking to my cousin who used to live with us while we were young for a week because I was mad at her, I guess it was one talent of mine, I was more than fine not talking to people. I can see ten thousand people and still hear the sound of silence.

But an explanation would be nice.

"You see that man in the dining hall, his health is deteriorating as time pass by," He started explaining with the kindest tone I've ever heard him used.

And that man in the dining hall? What a way to describe your dad, asshole.

"He wants to make sure I get married as soon as possible to produce an heir..." He adjusted his tone to a more serious one, "So that he can die in peace." He stated, I was listening more intensive now, "They have this absurd idea to introduce me to their family friend's daughter, and I told them I had no intention of doing that since I have a girlfriend." He touched his hair as he continued to speak, I could not help but notice his every movement.

"They suddenly told me they were coming to meet my girlfriend, and as I did not really have a girlfriend, I was left with no choice other than to bring you."

Almost as soon as he spit those words, I answered him, "Why me? There are thousands of girls who would kill to be posing as your fake girlfriend." I complained angrily.

"Well, because I'm interested in you." He looked at me in the eye and for a second the stars above don't shine, I breathed deeply, reminded myself of all the reasons why I loathe him, "But I'm not interested in you."

"And that makes me more interested in you." He argued back.

"You're impossible." I blurted. Could he ever get more worse?