Chapter - 51

I had never been on an Island, let alone a private one, everything was so splendid, and if this was how Frederick celebrated his 4th wedding, I didn't dare imagine how he'd celebrated his 1st. For all I could wish for, I hope Alex and I get out of this Island with no hard feeling, I know Ash warned me about his maybe proposal to me, but I don't think that was going to be the case, Alex was totally swamped ever since we arrived here, there was no way he was proposing today. The wedding seems more like a family reunion to me, everybody was talking to one other as if that was the first time they saw each other in two or three years, my ears were filled with everyone talking to each other, "Oh my God, you look gorgeous, how have you been?" "It's been so long, it's so good to see you." One thing I could figure out from their loud and unbothered conversation was that this family was not a close one, everybody had a smile pasted on their mouth, and clothes which worth more than my family monthly income, different coloured diamonds shining on their finger, costly handbags on their arms, expensive shoes on their feet, and yet their eyes shimmer with something I couldn't fathom, but it was not positive.

Once in a while Alex turned around to search for me, and as soon as his eyes landed on me, he offered me a sweet smile which I dearly returned. Alex was not of a disposition in which happiness overflows in a mirth, but I could indisputably know that he was glad I went with him. There was not a single time when Alex had a leisure time, if this person was not talking to him, that person did, and it goes on and on. "All of these marvellous things are so nice for the eyes, but they make me feel destitute." Ash whispered beside me, she had been sitting with me for as long as I can remember. We didn't feel obliged to talk to anyone, and anyone didn't feel the need to talk to two girls who sit at one of the tables quietly, I dare say they even notice us. "I'm going to go get myself a drink." I stated to Ash as she nodded, "I'll stay here."

I went over to the nearest bar I could find, and ask the bartender for one Cocktail Christina. I drank at the spot while my eyes wandered around all the people surrounding me, then my ears were suddenly perked up by one particular conversation I heard. "This one goes to Mr. Gerald, do not mix up the drink, he doesn't like the red one." One waiter ordered another, I hastily look at them while the bartender in front of me noticed my bothered look, "Is there a problem with your drink Ma'am?" He inquired meekly, I quickly shook my head no, "Oh no, it's just that Gerald is the name I wish I'd never hear today or any day in general," I admitted, "Attached to a face I hope I'd never see again." I could read the bartender's confused look, so I quickly added, "Fortunately, there are many Gerald in this world, so I need not worry about any Gerald here." Then I got up from my seat and walked back to Ash with my drink on hand.

"Hey Ann," Ash called out to me as I approached her, then my eyes caught a figure sitting beside her, "This woman is exquisite." She commented as I sat down with them. The woman who sat beside Ash was an old woman, but her old age couldn't dim her absolute beauty, her hair was grey but her spirits was one beautiful and enthusiastic spirit. I had never met this woman in my life and yet the last 5 second of looking at her was enough to let me know that she was one good soul, the shining emerald necklace on her neck was hard not to notice, "How do you like the wedding so far, young lady?" There was something warm about her as she spoke to me, "It's wonderful, everything is enchanting." I answered ardently, "Did you say your name was Viviane?" Ash asked as the old lady heartily laughed, "Yes, that's my name."

I was elated Ash was there to keep the conversation going, she has always been extraordinarily good at making strangers feel like they belong with her, it was one trait of hers that I deeply admire. "So, are you from the bride's side?"

"Oh no." Viviane replied, ever smiling. She seems to like talking with Ash, and she was right to, I remembered the first time I talked with Ash, it was one of the sweetest days of my life, and this old lady was exactly experiencing that feeling today, "I'm actually from the bridegroom's side." She declared archly, "You see, the bridegroom Frederick is my son." She laughed.

As soon as she made her last statement, Ash looked at me with big eyes, we were both astonished, "Do-o you mean you're Mrs. Bilimoria?" Ash asked, now more polite than ever, her voice indicating formality.

"Yes sweetheart, some people call me so, but my close ones call me Vee, you can call me that if you'd like."

The unbothered spirits which possessed Ash a second ago was gone, she sat back straight and asked yet another question politely, "Do you mind if I ask a very silly question?"

Viviane nodded ever so lightly, Ash quickly met my eyes before she asked her question, "Is Alexander your grandson?"

"Ah Xander?" Viviane seems to be in a higher spirit automatically as soon as Alex's name was mentioned, and Xander? I remember his mother calling him in that name, maybe it was how his family addressed him. "Yes, he's my grandson indeed, he's around your age I believe, do you perhaps know him?"

"Oh, my friend Andrea here-" Before Ash finish her sentence, I quickly pinched her arm in secret to prevent her from saying anything more. But what she said was already enough to make Viviane focused on me.

"Are you friends with my Xander, honey?" She asked me as Ash coughed lightly, what was I going to say? I couldn't possibly tell her that I was dating him, I don't even know how the day was going to end. "We're friends, yes." I finally answered.

"Oh, that is wonderful news, then I guess I owe you my gratitude." She declared, "Oh no, what for?" I asked, a little surprised, "You must know Xander never attend a family occasion, this is the first time he attend in more than 10 years." She stated, then went on, "He was such a sweet child, my boy, but ever since-" Then she abruptly stopped in the middle of her sentence, and I knew exactly why. She almost said 'ever since his parents died'. Ash curiosity was growing by the seconds and asked "Ever since?"

"Oh darling, it's nothing, I'm just glad he has such beautiful and kind friends like you two. I think it's time for me to leave you alone to enjoy, I've already taken up much of your time, enjoy the wedding, ladies." Then she smiled and went away from us, as soon as she was far enough not to hear us, Ash squealed in my ears, "The Bilimoria are amazing!"

"I would do anything to have such a cool grandmother, you see how she talks? Her aura was so powerful, don't you think? No wonder Alex's her grandson, I now know how Alex always seem so cool even when he does nothing, it flows in the blood, oh wait I should take her picture and show it to Toni and Elly."

Ash was rather occupied for the next few minutes trying to take the perfect shot of Viviane Bilimoria. While my mind wondered off to the impossible, no matter how much I tried not to think about it, I couldn't help myself, every fiber in my being voted to think about it.

How nice would it be to be married to Alex? That wonderful old lady would be my grandmother-in-law, I didn't even care a bit about their loaded money, even though an occasion like this and gorgeous gown definitely don't hurt, it was not what made me attached to Alex. If I was married to him, I'd be the happiest woman in the world, to be loved by such a man of fine qualities, the world may not consider Alex an agreeable man, but I know who he was, under the mask of all their family wealth and splendid cars, I know who he was, and how much he deserved to be loved by who he was, I will forever be glad and cherished the fact that I once had the honour of loving Alex Bilimoria.