Chapter - 49

The following night, I lay in bed with Ash beside me, she hadn't left my side after school and listened to every word I said, what had I done that was so good in my life that I had a friend like Ashlynn, so pure a heart, that match with the beauty of her face, and her unjudgmental mind, moreover, her affableness and her love for me was great, so great to the extent when even after I told her all of the awful things I did and why I got near Alex in the first place, all she could say was how sorry she was that she didn't know how big a burden I had been carrying, she blamed it all on herself. "I'm so sorry, I never even know how much you pain you're in. I've been so tied up with Simon, I forgot about you, I'm so-"

"You did nothing wrong, all of this is on me, and about Simon, you deserve all of this happiness and so much more." I consoled her back, the last thing I want was to make her feel bad for my reckless actions. "Yes, I may deserve to be happy, but I can't be happy while you're unhappy, and that is why I cancelled my date with Simon tonight, I'm staying with you." She declared.

"What? No, Ash you should go, you two just got together-" She cut me off before I finish what I was saying, "Exactly, we just got together so there are many chances in the future for a date with him, I'm staying with you tonight." She insisted and after a minute of trying to persuade her and as all my efforts were in vain, I gave in and thanked her with a smile for staying with me.

The first hour passed quietly as I told her how everything became complicated, how I was just trying to save my family from destruction, and never thought I'd fall for Alex. "What are you going to do if you only have one and a half month now?" She asked sincerely, I stared at her for a moment and slowly murmured, "I seriously do not know." I admitted that I had no idea what I was going to do, I still have one and a half month left but I dreaded it like it was tomorrow when Alex would find out everything. How I had deceived him from the very beginning.

"Have you tried telling him? Maybe he'll understand if you confess everything right now." Ash suggested, ever kindly, as if she was afraid anything she said might made my sorrow heavier. "Telling him?" I repeated her question, "Hey Alex I've been deceiving you since the beginning, I got close to you because I need money from your foe and he agreed to lend it to me in the light of breaking your heart, which I agreed to? Like that? Yeah, I tried, but words never came out."

"I know how absurd it may sound, but he loves you and he will listen to your reason I'm sure, if you tell him how much you regret doing it and how you actually fall for him." She persisted on it as I shook my head on my pillow, "It's not easy, Ash." I sighed, "I tried telling him so many times, but I couldn't bring myself to wipe off the smile pasted on his lips as he listens to what I was about to say, he's been so lonely and now that I finally became his happiness, I don't want to drive it away." I paused for a while as Ash listened fervently. "No one ever makes me feel like he does, with him I feel so complete, I don't even know how to put it into words." I confessed. "And I want that to last forever."

"This is all so sudden, and yet you have been hurting inside these months, I feel ashamed of myself as your mate." Ash went on. "I-" I started to say but I was interrupted by my phone buzzing, I grabbed it and took the call, "Yes Vernon?"

"Hi, I'm just checking up on you, Gerald called me the other day, he's been a bit impatient now." He sighed over the phone, "I know, he called me today." I told him, "Don't worry, I will figure it out." I assured him, I didn't want to worry him any longer with my problems, he helped me solved my first problem with all he could, and I couldn't drag him along with my second problem by telling him all the details, if I told him how much I suffered inside because I didn't want to hurt Alex, he'll only feel bad for me and yet he won't be able to do anything. So instead, I told him not to worry and that everything was in order.

"Don't you think it would be wise to tell at least Toni too? He is going to be miserable if he found out later." Ash suggested and for a split second, I considered her offer when I realized I already took a big risk by letting her have the knowledge of all this, I explained all the terms to her and she understood perfectly and swore she wouldn't speak of this matter to anyone and I trusted her. "Then if you need to reject Alex's hand in marriage, should we not worry about his uncle's wedding?" I sat straight up and asked her why we should be worried about that, "Simon vaguely told me that there is something that Alex is planning to do on his uncle's wedding."

"You don't think he's trying to propose to me there, do you?"

"I'm afraid I do, every dot connect, we all know Alex needs to get married and he already mentioned that this morning too, doesn't he say anything to you?" She asked perturbed, "He asked me if I could go to his uncle's wedding with him, he doesn't mention anything else."

"I'm afraid I'm right, if Alex is indeed planning to propose to you in front of all his family and if you reject his hand-" She stopped abruptly as she covered her mouth slightly with her hand thinking about what she just said.

"I don't think I'll be able to turn him down, I can't bear to let him down." I admitted, "Yet I must or else, what would Gerald do? He has the contract with my signature on it, I would be completely at his mercy."

"Then I guess you have to decline Alex's offer to go with him to his uncle's wedding, buy yourself sometime before we figure out what to do."