Chapter 96

The early morning sun shone down on Caspian as he and Elincia sat on their horse alongside the other leaders of the human/elf army. The 75,000 strong army stood just outside of Arcadia, a long line of people that extended for at least a half a kilometer. It was a gigantic force.

With them was Commander Feral, Valen, Maddison, Stratello, Erica, Derek, and the two new sorceresses, Crocetia and Hannah. All of them had horses. The captains for each division of the army also had horses. They were easily distinguished from the normal Peacekeepers by their gleaming silver armor.

"The sky is clear," Commander Feral commented. "It's a good day to travel. With luck, we won't have to deal with any abnormal weather on our way to Cassadinia."

"One can always hope," Valen said as he looked up.

"You two sound like old men," Erica muttered with a sigh. As always, Derek was right by her side, on a workhorse that was capable of lugging around his massively armored frame. "I hope you realize how unattractive that is."

"You're the only person I know who would say something so stupid," Maddison said with a sigh. "The worst thing is I don't even care anymore. It's like you've desensitized me to your stupidity."

"You say that, and yet you're commenting on my statement."

"So what?"

Caspian watched as the two sorceresses began bickering, wondering if maybe it would have been better for them to travel separately rather than together. However, he soon turned away from the pair and looked back at Commander Feral as he sat astride his steed with Stratello and Valen by his side. They were the commanders of the army. Commander Feral had been given full-command, while Valen and Stratello would each lead a division.

Both Commander Feral and Stratello were wearing armor now. Their gleaming breastplates, shoulder pauldrons, gauntlets, and greaves were reminiscent to armor worn by knights long ago, similar in many ways to Derek's armor. Cloaks had been draped over their shoulders. They were lighter in color than the ones Caspian and Elincia had used while sneaking across Arcadia to reach Fas Sheras.

"Everyone!" Commander Feral suddenly called out to the army, quieting them down. "For months now, the dark elves have claimed our nation as their own. They have abused our people and enslaved many, but no more. Today is the day we reclaim our capital! We will drive out the dark elves and free our people!"

Caspian didn't know if he'd call that the most moving speech, but it did rouse the soldiers into releasing a fierce cry as they stomped their feet.

"Before we begin marching toward our final battlefield, I think we should have a word from the person who made this all possible." Commander Feral turned to Elincia. "Would you speak to your men?"

"M-me? Speak to them?" Elincia looked like someone had broadsided her with a MAFT.

Commander Feral nodded, his expression serious. "I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but the biggest we have been able to come this far is because of your actions. You heal others without a second thought. You treat people with incredible kindness. What's more, your skill with a bow is admired by everyone here. Not a single one of these people don't look up to you. If you said just a few kind words, it would mean the world to them."

Caspian said nothing as Elincia's cheeks slowly turned red, her embarrassment leaking out through the bond. He couldn't make this decision for her. Yet even as he felt her inner struggling, he also saw how her expression shifted from uncertain and embarrassed to determined. She nodded once at the commander.

"I-I'll do it," she only stuttered a bit.

"Thank you." Commander Feral smiled.

Caspian directed the horse they were riding toward the front. They could have ridden different horse, but Elincia wasn't a very proficient rider yet, and they hadn't really had time to practice. He would also admit that he just wanted her close. Having her ride on the same horse as him gave Caspian a good excuse to hug her.