Chapter 23

With the help of everyone who had been freed, the group was able to clear the ship of bodies, which they tossed overboard. Several of the freed people were also talented chefs. They quickly raided the galley, grabbing whatever food was on hand and using it to prepare a large feast for everyone. Once all of the freed people had chosen a cabin to sleep in, they were called up to the deck to eat.

Several tables had been spread out on the deck. A variety of cooked meats and veggies were laid out in a platter ensemble. Many of the meat dishes were aquatic such as fish, crab, lobster, and so on. The people who'd been held captive for so long, having not been able to eat anything decent in months, were ravenous as they attacked the food.

Caspian and Elincia were also present, sitting at one of the tables as they ate their meal in peace. Someone would occasionally come up and speak to Elincia, either to thank her for saving them or for some other reason, but then they would leave and head back to their eating. Of course, most of the people who thanked her were men. Each one of them was subjected to Caspian's jealous glare.

"Do you really have to stare so hatefully at everyone?" asked Elincia with a frown.

"I don't stare hatefully at the woman, but I have to let the men know not to overstep their boundaries," Caspian said as he picked up a crab leg and broke it apart. The juicy meat from the inside revealed itself, and he took great joy in eating it. Mm. Crab meat dipped in butter was delicious. "You have no self-awareness, Ele. A lot of those men are after you because you're so kind and beautiful. I have to let them know they can't have you."

Elincia's cheeks turned a startling shade of pink as Caspian possessively informed her that he was essentially telling everyone that she was his and they needed to back off. Her joy and embarrassment sang to him through the bond. She wasn't unhappy that he was so possessive. Even so, she still pouted at him.

"Even if they did come onto me, it wouldn't matter." Elincia stared at him with expressive blue eyes. "I've already given myself to you."

"I-I am aware of that," Caspian mumbled as he looked away. "But I still don't like how those men ogle you."

Elincia shook her head and smiled. His cheeks burned when he felt her amusement seep into him. So what if he got jealous by other people looking at her? Wasn't that his right as her husband? If he let these people get close to her, they might think they had a chance and try something. He couldn't let that happen!

"You two are so sickeningly sweet, it's nauseating."

Caspian and Elincia turned to look at Chloe, who was glaring daggers at them from where she sat on the ground. Of course, she was still bound in rope and therefore unable to partake in the food, which may have had something to do with her displeasure. Then again, perhaps she was just upset that these people had raided her galley.

While Caspian wanted to tell this woman off, Elincia stood up from her chair and sat down next to the slave trader. Her posture was very formal. She sat on her thighs instead of sitting cross-legged, placing her hands in her lap, and kept her back erect.

"What is it?" Chloe asked warily when she saw this.

"I wanted to ask if you could tell us what you know about Marquis Hunington and Commander Enriche," Elincia said.

"Ha! Fat chance of that happening." The woman laughed in Elincia's face. "Do you honestly think I'd tell you anything after what you've done to me? You killed my crew, humiliated me, and now you're asking me for information? It seems a little messed up to ask me for something after you've taken practically everything I cherish from me."

"Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black." Caspian didn't stand up. He glared at Chloe from where he sat. "How many people have you stolen from? You work as a slave trader, stealing the livelihoods of others, trampling over the things that are precious to them, and humiliating them by forcing them to wear drab clothing and locking them into cages. How is what we're doing any different from what you've already done."