Chapter 63

When the sun rose above the horizon, everyone woke up and packed away their belongings. Derek, Caspian, Christo, and even Dranor took down the tents and stowed them away in the packs attached to their horses. Because they were in a hurry, they didn't really eat breakfast. Elincia brought out some salted meat and everyone munched on that as they mounted up and rode off.

Elincia did not ask Loki to remake the illusions. They traveled without their disguises. Elincia's long, silvery blonde hair flew behind her as she rode with Caspian, her arms wrapped around his waist, chest pressed into his back. Caspian glanced at the others--only to frown when his eyes landed on Derek and Erica. The succubus sorceress was sitting side-saddle in front of Derek. Wasn't she worried about her hair blinding the man?

Since Sylvia was the one who knew where they would meet the patrol under Commander Feral's authority, she was the one who led them across the vast and empty plains.

Everything looked the same in this place. There were not many trees, but there were a lot of shrubs and rocks. Perhaps it had something to do with how this was close to elf territory. However, no one seemed to even want to try cultivating the land here, which left the place fairly barren.

Before too much time had passed, several specks appeared in the distance. As they grew closer, Caspian narrowed his eyes as he studied the people who had appeared in his and Elincia's vision. Dranor, Collafloore, and Tiffania also spotted the group of people who were standing in place as though waiting for something... or someone.

Pulling on the reins of their horses, the group slowed down as they approached the people, all of whom were dressed up in the standard uniforms of the Peacekeepers. There were four of them. All of them were men. One had scraggly blond hair, another had a head shaped like a walnut, the third guy on the left was practically tearing his clothes he was so muscular, and the man in front of them all, the leader Caspian guessed, was a handsome and noble-looking sort of guy. All of them were on horseback.

There also wasn't a single Knight present, making it clear that this was likely the group who they were supposed to mean.

"Are you the ones Commander Feral said we should meet?" asked Sylvia as her horse came to a stop.

"That's right," their leader said, bowing at the waist. "My name is Gerald. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Sylvia de Floresca. Our group is here to lead you and the others past the border and into the Sacred Forest. We can only take you to the edge of the Sacred Forest, though. Navigating through that maze is not something we have the ability to accomplish. I hope you understand."

"Please do not worry yourself with that." Sylvia gestured toward Dranor. "I have a guide who can help with that."

The Peacekeepers sucked in a breath as they saw the elf sitting on the horse, but Dranor didn't appear to be paying any attention to them. He stared at the Sacred Forest several dozen kilometers away. Even from this distance, they could see the trees shooting into the sky. Each tree looked like it was the size of a skyscraper.

"I... had not realized you knew any elves besides Lady Elincia," Gerald said.

"I do not know him very well," Sylvia admitted. "Maddison is the one who found him injured and introduced us."

"Maddison? Ah, I see." Gerald glanced at Maddison as she waved at him. He nodded. "Well, either way, our job is to get you safely into the Sacred Forest. I do not know what you want to accomplish by going into that place, but Commander Feral asked us to help you out, so that is what we are going to do."

"You have my thanks," Sylvia said with a nod.

"Okay, everyone. Follow us." Gerald turned around and gestured toward them. "Be sure to keep your eyes and ears open. We're not the only group patrolling. If we run across any other patrols, we will be in big trouble."