Chapter 60

Caspian looked up when Elincia returned to the cave, her body shaking as puffs of steam rose from her lips every time she breathed. He stood up and made is way over to her. Wrapping an arm around her freezing cold body, he led her back to the fire, where they both sat down and tried to warm her up.

"How did your conversation go?" he asked.

"I don't know," Elincia admitted with a sigh. "I'm not even sure what I was trying to accomplish by talking to him. I just... there were some things I wanted to understand."

"Do you understand those things now?"

"No." Smiling sadly, Elincia shook her head. "Even now, I do not feel like I understand anything. Why did those elves start a rebellion? He said they weren't satisfied with my father's rule, but rather than trying to come up with a peaceful means of convincing him, they decided they needed to start a rebellion. I just... don't understand."

"That is because you're kind," Caspian said.

"Maybe..."

While Elincia didn't sound convinced, Caspian was certain of it. Elincia's kindness was boundless. She helped people without a second thought, even those who reviled her because she was an elf. Elincia did not have a mean bone in her body. It was only natural that she wouldn't be able to understand someone like Dranor, who had spilled the blood of countless people, both humans and elves.

Caspian looked at the others. Everyone else had already gone to sleep. Erica was using Derek as a pillow as the older man slept against the wall. Meanwhile, Tiffania was using Erica as a pillow. Collafloore was sleeping on the ground next to them, a dissatisfied expression on his face even in sleep. They looked a lot like a family.

Cassidy and Christo were also sleeping close to each other, though not so close that someone who wasn't knowledgeable about their currently unusual relationship would think they were particularly intimate. They were lying on the ground side by side. There was about a meter of space between them.

While the others had someone they were next to, Sylvia and Maddison slept far from the others. Maddison was over in a corner of the cave and Sylvia was in another corner on the opposite side. Neither of them looked comfortable. Even with the fire still going, the flame's warmth could only permeate so much of the space, especially since a strong breeze was blowing in through the entrance.

"We should get some rest," Caspian said at last.

"Yeah... you're right."

Since Elincia was still cold, Caspian didn't move them away from the fire. He laid down next to it. The ground was hard and uncomfortable, but at least it was flat and didn't have any rocks sticking out of it. He did his best to ignore his discomfort and let Elincia use his chest as a pillow.

"Say, Caspian? What are we going to do now?"

"I don't know," Caspian admitted. He paused when Elincia's uncertainty and worry pierced his chest through the bond. "But whatever we do, we'll do it together."

"Right... together..."

His words calmed Elincia's uncertain heart, and it wasn't long before her breathing had become deep and even. She had fallen asleep. She even began dreaming of what life would be like if they weren't on the run.

Caspian closed his eyes and allowed Elincia's dream to engulf him. Unlike back when their bond was still forming, he didn't feel embarrassed as he let her dream of them living together and raising children sweep him up. This was exactly the kind of life he wanted. A nice, quiet, peaceful life. If possible, he would have loved to just leave this country behind, find a quiet place to settle down, and never worry about the outside world again.