Chapter 54

"I know how to get to Collafloore. Just follow my directions."

Caspian smiled when he heard those words. It was just as he had expected from Elincia. She had likely gotten into contact with Snotra, the Nordic Clan's spirit of wisdom.

"I'm listening."

"Once you leave your room, travel left down the hall."

Caspian acknowledged Elincia's words as he turned to Christo and Derek, relaying his sorceress' orders to them. Being the rogue that he was, Christo went up to the door and picked the lock. No doubt Sebas had locked them in because he didn't fully trust them. The man had sharp instincts.

After leaving their room and relocking the door, which they hoped would buy them some time, Caspian and the other two moved left down the hallway. They tried to move swiftly but also silently. Their feet padded against the carpet, and they kept a constant eye out for any sign of other people.

It was fairly late at night, so most everyone had likely gone to sleep. That said, they knew that relying on the idea of everyone being asleep was foolish. Caution was what they needed right now.

"Once you reach the next intersection, turn right."

All of the hallways looked the exact same. The floors were made of tile that caused their boots to make a tap-tap-tap noise as they raced along it, and the walls formed an unusual shape. The left wall was taller than the right. Meanwhile, several pillars half-embedded into the wall on the right shifted into a ribbed ceiling that appeared only half formed. It was an unusually asymmetrical aesthetic.

"When you reach the end of this hallway, you'll come across a pair of double-doors. That's the kitchen. Collafloore's room is the next door over."

Caspian increased his pace. He was eager to reach Collafloore and escape. He didn't want to remain in this mansion any longer than he had to.

They soon reached the door that Elincia spoke of, and though it was locked like theirs had been, Christo quickly managed to pick the lock and open the door.

The inside was dark. Caspian blinked several times as his elf eyes adjusted to the light quickly. The room was nice but plain. There wasn't much aside from some furniture and a bed.

Caspian ignored everything as he went up to the bed and looked at the sleeping half-elf boy, who he easily recognized. It was the same boy who had tried to steal that woman's money back when he'd been Erica's temporary knight, the same boy who had been adopted by Erica alongside Tiffania.

"Hey!" Caspian barked, causing the young man to sit up with a jolt. "Long time no see."

"Long... what? Time... who...?" Confused, Collafloore turned his head around in a daze before his eyes landed on Caspian. He blinked several times before they widened. "C-Caspian?! What are you--"

"Obviously, I'm here to get you out of this place," Caspian said. "Come on. We don't have much time."

Collafloore obviously realized the truth of his words. He stood up and quickly donned his clothes, a white collared shirt, black pants, a black vest, and brown boots. As he turned to Caspian, he opened to mouth to speak, but then his eyes widened.

"E-elves?!"

"Huh?" Caspian didn't understand why Collafloore would shout that... until he remembered Christo and Derek standing behind him. "Those two aren't elves. They're disguised by an illusion."

"Hee hee." Christo giggled with a mischievous voice. "That's right. No elves here. Just a pair of disguised humans."

"I... see..."