Mission impossible - 19

I talked to dad saying we should keep the whole mate thing hidden for now, he agreed and gave me that "I wish I could take your pain away" look. I didn't know how I did it, but I kind of was able to concentrate on training the next day. In our lunch break Jason came up to me and told me about the room, about the monitors. "One of us is always watching the satellite images. They only come in every fifteen minutes, but it'll give us a chance to see when something big goes down. We saw her arrive, the plane was shown in one picture passing over the island... we didn't see her though. You can go there if you wish, see for yourself" he told me. It seemed like he knew I cared, he looked at me and I knew he cared.

"Who was Tamail to her?" I suddenly asked him, not getting that question out of my head. "Everything" he said "he was a brother and sometimes a son, a friend and a team member" he replied, but continued as my face showed him I did not understand. "Well, I don't really know how the two of them met, but the General, his dad, he used to do a lot of work with the first in command and where he was, she was. So I guess that is how they grew up though I cannot really imagen the second in command playing games with him. She was more of the bossy sister I assume. But man did he love her, he followed her like a pup and she followed the first in command so they became great fighters." He grew said, remembering his friend. "I'm sorry, I think I haven't told you yet. I am really sorry for your loss. If it wasn't for me we wouldn't have been captured and he wouldn't have..." "no" he interrupted me "Thomas betrayed us, one of our own. So if it is anyone's fault it is ours for not noticing." He assured me "and Tamail died because he outran us all, his love for Milia was pushing him and we couldn't keep up" he placed a hand on my shoulder "don't feel responsible. We live in service and it is great honour to die serving and he died a hero" he said before leaving.

I didn't feel Taemilia, didn't feel her hunger or pain, there was only me and my emotions. My chaos of ups and downs, of working and training and then emptiness. I went up into the room several times, but nothing happened, just the island and sometimes a dot somewhere, nothing to identify. "We have no way of communicating with her" the man told me one night when I was lounging on one of the chairs. It was just the two of us, it was always just someone and me. He had dark hair and was around my age. He was in Jasons' team and sometimes helped with training, but mostly helped with shifts and patrol. "She has a device to track her clothes, like anyone, but they are on the island... can't be more accurate than that" he showed me the marking on a screen. "She has a way of communicating with the pilot though, it's a good man, experienced and willing to do the trip. Everything is getting ready as she said... I really hope she makes it" he whispered the last part. "I'm sure she will" I assured him, my voice sounding way more certain than I felt.

I returned the next morning to find another guy in front of the monitor, he looked at me as I entered. "You seem to be here a lot" he commented, not bothering to address me with any title. Most of them didn't, they were not in the pack and higher in status for the most. "I'm just... worried" I admitted, not knowing what else to say. "We all are" he said as he turned back to the screen "we all are" he whispered again, more to himself than me.

It was eight at night when I heard shouting outside and steps rush upstairs to that room. I followed immediately, leaving my plate with my half eaten dinner as it was. "What's going on?" I asked one of the men on the stairs "she's contacted the pilot" he said. We entered the room, it was crowded and it felt like most of her team was present. "Who's on border patrol?" I asked, one tiny part of my mind concerned about duty "your pack is on tonight, it is our night off" Jason said as he stood there, arms crossed. "The pilot informed me" a man with dark blond hair said "she has contacted him to start flying. It's a big water plane and will need about two hours to reach from where it is. She knows that though" he explained. "He said she sounded alright" he added and a set of breaths were released from several people. "Then I suggest you get your food up and bring mine too, I left it on the table... because no one will be able to sleep anyway" Jason said. I did as he said without feeling it to be an order.