Farewell - 18

Everything happened so quick, my brain was still trying to wrap around the fact of Tae being my mate and now all hell seemed to break loose. She was quick to have those men who were not on duty collect in the living room. I stayed in the kitchen near the door, a spot where I would be able to hear and see everything.
"I will be going on a mission on short notice. The rogues have been mostly defeated and the territories are stabilizing. With great pride I am pronouncing newly promoted GENERAL Sanders to be the new commander of the squats and coordinator for shifts and training. It is your first priority to keep the packs safe, to ensure proper training of the members of this pack and develop peace with the other Packs in which the Alpha will be in charge." She said, nodding at Jason who seemed shocked. "But General Curc is the highest..." "General Curc has not proven his dedication in this mission and is therefore not in charge" she interrupted him briskly. Uff, I don't ever want to be on her bad side I thought.

"It will be your duty to give Tamail the burial he deserves. Do not start until in four days, when I hope his father has return and will be able to attend. "Do not wait for my presence at the event, but know that my heart and soul will be with you and with him, guiding him into peace" tears formed in her eyes and her voice broke, but her face stayed stern.
"Due to several events I had not been able to do my duty of sharing Tamails accomplishments" she took a deep breath, looking into the faces of the men who had gathered. "I have known Tamail longer than just the three years of training most of you spend with him. But even in that time all of you could witness great dedication and willpower. He was always the last to leave the training field and the first to volunteer. His kindness and his happiness made this team bond."
She took another breath, the tears still welling up in her eyes. "We were his family" her voice broke and the first tear left her eyes "and no one shall be ashamed to grief his death. He died a hero, serving me and saving my life. He died because he was faster than anyone I've ever seen" the men nodded, tearing up as well. I understood that it must be like losing a brother for them. I felt Taes' broken heart and her grief as my own and had to wipe one of my tears away.

The fabric was absorbing her tears and she continued speaking. "We will remember Tamail because he is in every laugh in this group. I see him in every bad joke that turns out to be funny and in ever compassionate action. Tamail has encouraged me and the team to allow bonds to form. I have been nothing but proud of what has become of the small kid that desperately wanted to be like his father." She had to stop and sniffed. "It has been an honour not only training Tamail, but having him as a part of my personal life" my breath hitched in my throat. Who had that Tamail been for her? She was twenty five, he had been around eighteen, maybe nineteen. He was too old, to be her son, or did I get his age wrong?

Tae stopped though it felt like she wasn't finished, but it looked like she couldn't continue. Jason rose his voice, tears evident on his face "I remember seeing him for the first time. A small pup running after the second in command, who was general at that time" he smiled at Tae. He laughed and shook his head "I was training fighting technique when he came to me, offering me to spar. He was so tiny, so skinny, so weak. But there was something in his eyes, hope" the others smiled as well "and needless to say, I kicked that boys ass. He fell on his butt so many times, I laughed at him, but he got up again and again. He never gave up, came to me just one day later and said he had trained. He told me that one day he would be as great as his dad and Milia" his eyes found Taes'. "Well he kicked my lazy ass that day, damn he had trained. And just like that he picked up my fighting skills, using them against me." He shook his head, laughing to himself.
"I remember him from seeing him train on the motorcycle track. He was racing after our second in command, trying to beat her speed" another began talking "he fell so hard, he broke three rips and an arm, but sure was back on that damn motorcycle the other day" a laugh erupted in the group. "But when we were being ambushed two years later, it was his skill in riding that flippen motorcycle that got everyone distracted and us out. He even broke that record just a month ago" he said, proud "I didn't know" Tae whispered, "he never told me". "Well, you were his hero, more than his dad. When you were not in camp, he would not shut up about you" another said, smiling at Tae. "Thank you" she told him, "thank you all for being family for him when I could not be" she said "I am so blessed to have had him in my life for so many years though I wish I would have had many more." She ended.

She made a short break, wiping her tears with her hands, straightening out and taking a big breath. "Well" she then said, her voice regaining strength "it is an honour having trained you all and having you as my team" she said, speaking in the presence, but it sounded like goodbye. "Even though General Curc will not be in charge for now, he will be in the case that I do not return. It does not mean that I will never" she calmed them down "but it might take me longer than a few days to come back here" she assured them, her voice as confident as it can be.
She nodded into the group of men before she turned around and began to make her way into the hallway. She entered the kitchen, not being surprised to see me here. She must have known about my presence all along. She ignored me, took a bag from one of the cabinets and started placing food inside. "It sounded like farewell" I told her "and the others up there said so too". "Well, it is my duty to have someone appointed just in case" she assured me, but she didn't seem all that confident "survival is never a given in this job" she said and looked at me "it is that way and that will never change" her voice was soft.

"There are others... female wolves who have lost their mates in battle or otherwise... you will find someone suitable" she said, leaving me stunned and speechless as she turned and left with the bag. I heard the front door. "What?!" I exclaimed, rushing to catch up with her.
By the time I had run out the door I saw a jeep drive away from the house and leave, speeding through the village. I watched the car drive into the forest and leave my side. I felt the mate bond grow weaker. We had no real connection since we never mated or marked each other. I stopped feeling her emotions after less than a minute of her being gone. My arms hung at my side as I stood there, too stunned to say or do anything.
My father appeared by my side, putting his hand on my shoulder "I'm sorry son, I'm so sorry" he whispered.