The Newcomers - 14

My alarm went off at 9.20 a.m. waking me, I seemed to have fallen asleep again. I rubbed over my face trying to wake up fully before changing into work-out gear and walking downstairs. Some of my team was in the dining area, chatting and drinking coffee or eating something small. "Hey man, did you sleep well?" Mark asked standing by the coffee machine as I entered the kitchen "kinda" I replied, not wanting to talk about any of it. The second half of my sleep had been dreamless, but I didn't feel refreshed at all. I placed a mug under the coffee machine to get one and looked outside while waiting. Some men were battling each other with wooden sticks. They were super quick and my tired eyes had problems following their movements.

The battle was odd, it seemed to be anyone against everyone and I wanted to ignore it, but I didn't notice any of the men. My eyes tried to recognize their faces, but I couldn't. I don't know anyone in my pack who can do something like that I thought seeing them jump and almost fly through the air. A flash of black began to move through the men, leaving them laying on the ground wherever that person stroke. I recognized the dull brown hair and weird fabric of Tae and my eyes widened when I saw her take-out the men effortlessly. I opened the window to hear as well. Grunts came from the men though those on the ground were partly laughing "can't believe she still makes me feel like I felt beginning training with her" one laughed while getting up "yeah it's like we never even trained" another said "it really is, what have you been up to while I was gone?" she asked, her voice mocking them.

They grinned "just chilling boss" one said. He had blond hair and stunning blue eyes, his tan skin stuck out against his light features indicating he spend most of his time outside "sure have" she said and stretched out a hand to him. "How'd you do it?" another asked "I heard you were stuck in conferences all day every day over there". He was slightly older, a ten day beard covering half his face, his long hair kept in a tight bun. "She trained at night, I'm telling you, sleep is only for mundanes and mortals" one said, laughing. The others joined in, a light hearted atmosphere surrounding them "if you trained half as much as you joked, you'd be ... better" she winked at him and one whistled "dang, she roasted you" he laughed and patted the man on the shoulder.

"Save your comments" she ordered, but her voice was playful, her body posture relaxed and she moved her stick between his ankles, making him fall on his butt with a flick of her wrist "or you'll be next" she said. The whole group erupted in laughter though Tae didn't as far as I could tell. "Let's get back to work, trainings over and your patrols are going to start shortly" she continued, her voice empty of all emotions again. They nodded and switched to respectfully nodding in a heartbeat. "Was just about to get you" a man said and I recognized his voice to be the man I heard talk on the phone, Thomas. Tae didn't as much as glance at him as she walked out of my field of vision with the men following her. I really hope she hates him for telling her dad I thought and remembered my coffee. It was at perfect drinking temperature and I gulped it down quickly.

"I have some work to get to, so you'll run without me, shift for this run, we should have started at the beginning of this week, but we'll keep to running on two legs every second day minimum, it trains your overall fitness at a quicker pace" she explained and send us off to run. I wonder what she has to take care of, Jonathan said as started trotting into the forest.
Dad said she was delivering a plan on the shifts at ten thirty which also includes all the stuff that has to be taken care of in the other pack now that the Alpha is gone Erik reported I spoke with him this morning, he said she and the Alpha would also test the new members for their abilities before appointing jobs at the initiation on Saturday. I had to talk to dad, I didn't even know about the initiation and as the soon-to-be Alpha I felt like I had to. He had most likely wanted to take some weight off my shoulders with the whole mate situation, but I remembered my promise to raise my game and I was still planning on doing so.

Tae had us work on different tests as we came back, releasing us for lunch. The usual group of men did not arrive to train with her in our short break. Tae walked off and into the house, most likely looking for my father. Dad? I mind-linked him yes, what is it? He replied instantly, sharing an image of his empty office to let me know he was free.
Do you need any help with the initiation coming up? Or the new pack members or the other pack? I asked, offering my help. Don't worry son, we have everything sorted, you are best of keeping your head in training I felt him wanting to send me warm feelings. I scratched the back of my neck, shutting of the mind-link. I didn't want him to feel what I was feeling. I was slightly hurt and angry to be treated like a child, though seeing those men fight this morning showed me just how much of a child I must be to Tae. And dad was used to being around her by now, so he must think so too.

I wanted to be Alpha one day so I had to learn all the politics and formal matters of running a pack, though I had to become a better leader for my team and improve my skills also. I couldn't rely on my mere strength when being Alpha, I wanted to be as invincible as Tae was. I wanted her skill to run my pack with confidence. I wanted to be able to prove myself to anyone, letting my pack know I was well capable of keeping them safe.

The afternoon was tough, Tae kept training us until short before dinner, she seemed somehow refreshed and... excited? Her eyes had an odd glow to them, her voice sounded happier than usual. I had been wondering if I was the only one to pick it up, but the others saw it too, wondering. She may have her mate with her, he might be in the troop that arrived yesterday Jonathan suggested SQUAT I send into the link, trying my hardest not to lace it with anger and annoyance and she has no mate. I didn't mean to add that detail about her private life, it just slipped.
Then she may just have a fling with one of the men, I saw them playing around this morning Mark said. She doesn't really seem like the kind of girl for a fling Griffon said. YOU think Anton said, intruding our minds with his ideas gross man! Clemens yelled at him. We left the gym and Tae was on her way inside once again when General Curc made his way outside. We were just finishing dressing when he reached Tae "there here" he told her, expecting her to know what he meant. Who's here? Clemens asked through mind-link, I had to shrug, not knowing who they were talking about. Tae seemed to know, clapping his shoulder while sprinting past him. She jumped over two benches and rushed out. "Someone is eager" the General laughed, shaking his head and following her with long but relaxed strides. I decided to run around the house to see who it was, the others following me.

Two pick-ups were just parking, motorcycles loaded on them as we rounded the last corner. Men were standing on the loading areas and jumped off as soon as the cars stopped. All of them looked buff and trained, their clothes all identical in army style. Their faces were grim, but lit up as Tae came to a stop, straightening up before them. Some began to line up in front of her, straightening and bowing to her in respect, only one jumped off the car and started eagerly sprinting "Lia!" he yelled and ran right at her. He was a little shorter than the others, his shoulders not as broad, his dark blond hair and glowing blue eyes gave him a childish look. His grin was wider than the horizon as he jumped straight at her, flinging his arms around her in intense joy.

I stopped breathing, my ears ringing with the most beautiful sound I had ever heard in my entire life. It reached my ears and made my whole body freeze. I felt my mouth hanging open, my eyes staring as Tae wrapped her arms around the man and...
Was laughing. A melodic sound, her laugh a higher tune than her voice and so perfect. She ruffled the man's hair, holding him away from her and said "look at you, you've grown so much, what do they give you?" she laughed again. "Come on, the room is all set up on the third floor. Leave the bikes for now, it's not going to rain tonight" she ordered though her voice rather indicated her talking to friends. "Who are they?" Clemens whispered next to me. "I'm about to find out" I mumbled. My voice showed my anger which came right after the shock subdued. Who was that man to treat her like that? What were they doing here and why was she treating him like that?