The Mission - 9

I walked downstairs to find Taes' door open and her standing in front of an open draw. She was preparing, putting knives into slits all over her clothes. She had changed into a different pair of pants, they were tighter than her usual ones with many places to hang or tug weapons. The usual tight pockets around her legs and waist were open and she was putting all sorts of things inside. Her upper body was clothed in a sturdy looking long sleeve in dark grey, just like her pants. She ended her preparation with a pair of gloves which she slipped on, just then she seemed to see me. Her vibrant eyes shot up to mine and a weird feeling arose in my stomach. My breath got caught in my throat and images of me walking up to her, sliding my hands along her waist holding her, were crossing my mind. My heart started to speed up as she continued looking at me, capturing me with the golden honey. Her tan skin was glowing in the light of the slowly descending sun, her hair as dull as ever.

"Is there something you need?" she asked, waking me out of my trance. "N...No" I replied, failing to find my voice at the first try "I just" I stopped, not knowing if it was appropriate to speak my mind "just wanted wish you good luck" I said, trying to express something less odd. "It has nothing to do with luck" she replied, her lips moving under her usual fabric "I guess" one of my hands had risen to scratch the back of my head, a habit I had when feeling insecure "just wanted to tell you" I then started again, somehow feeling the need to tell her something else "we kinda need you for training, so you better get back safe". I tried to not move my face, to not show her how awful I felt about voicing this. She nodded "I will", it was only a whisper, but reassuring me enough to nod myself and turn to leave.

"Alpha" she called after me, making me stop and turn quickly, relieved she was continuing our interaction. I hadn't noticed her moving and was surprised to find her standing close. I tilted my head down to face her and she seemed to shudder as my breath hit her face. Her eyes looked into mine again and I saw me holding her. The image was so vivid in my mind, so vibrant and demanding. I couldn't help but follow the impulse. Without another thought I had laced my arms around her small frame and pulled her into me, the whole movement quick and stiff. My mind exploded in shock, expecting her to instantly kick my butt for it, but her arms snaked around me quickly, holding my midsection with a small amount of pressure. "Please come back to me" I whispered, not knowing what was going on, but enjoying the feeling of her.

It felt perfect, it felt complete and if I were to die now, I would be contempt. I wasn't entirely sure, her voice was just a breeze in the wind, but I thought to have heard her say "always" before freeing herself quickly, turning to the staircase and walking off, not glancing at me in the process. What did just happen? I wondered, staring after her. My skin was burning in the places I had been holding her, my mind turning in an unsettling speed, making me feel wobbly on my legs. "So perfect" I whispered subconsciously.

Every household with empty neighbouring houses is to report to the pack house, they will receive keys and will spend the night to prepare the houses for possible guests. Our neighbour pack to the left will be taken care of tonight and we will give any refugees the opportunity to stay with us as far as they are no threat. Every fit warrior is to report at four in the morning at the pack house having fully covered up every patch of skin, protected those skin patches exposed with a thick layer of moisturizer. Wear gloves! We will be confronted with the after match of a Wolfs Bain paralysation. Keep your windows and doors hidden and sealed over the night. Not important what noises come from the outside, everyone is to stay inside. No children are to leave the houses in the morning until midday if not informed from ME otherwise. We will be free of the struggle with that pack after this odyssey of fights and I must voice my pride in how well this pack has done during those hard times. Tomorrow will be the final day before days of freedom and joy again.

My father's voice had boomed through my head, just like it had been with everyone else in the pack. I took an intake of air before walking into my room to shower and change and then get something to eat. My stomach was rumbling again.
I saw Robert talking to Phillip, my dad's Beta in the kitchen as I entered, they looked up, but continued to speak. "I didn't know moisturizer helped" Robert told Phillip in a low voice "not like clothes, but it is supposed to hold off the small particles in the air and prevent burning" Phillip said "supposed?" Robert questioned. Phillip nodded "I didn't know either, the second in command told us, she said it won't hold it off forever, but will help us with the rest of the Wolfs Bain that could still be in the air after the three hours of resting time" "resting time?" Robert asked again, intrigued by all the new information "yeah, she said Wolfs Bain takes about three hours to be either mixed with dirt or have been blown away if there is no strong wind".

I took the plate out of the fridge which I had placed there before and started eating, watching them and listening. "I wonder how she knows all this, do all the Star Warriors learn this stuff?" Robert said and scratched his short beard. "I guess, I mean she trains them and I would think she lets them know. She seems like an instructor to always aim for the best result in her teams" Phillip replied, taking a glass from the cupboard and filling it with tap water. "Yeah, the training sessions we had have greatly increased our strength even after just these one and a half weeks" Robert confirmed "it's crazy" he added, shaking his head in disbelief.

"I mean, I heard stories before of how the Star Warrior troops are trained and what unbelievable things they can achieve and I saw them back in the days when this pack changed, but she..." he paused "I have a feeling she is just another level, those men back then were just men, trained and knowledgeable, but still just men, shifting and running like us, but she is..." he stopped, searching for the right word "I don't know, she fights off Wolves in her human form, outruns us with two legs, doesn't miss a single thing and how did she manage to know of the change in the other pack?" he wondered. "She kept staring in the woods yesterday" I offered "she was really absent and her ears would twitch, I guess she somehow heard it, maybe seeing something during the night" I suggested. "Yeah, she did have every second night to spy I guess" "Yeah, spy and protect the whole territory" Phillip said "I still don't know how she does it, I'm just grateful she does" he looked at his watch "speaking of which, I better get home to my wife, she is way too happy about me spending more time there, can't let her down now" he gave a wave before leaving.

"Oh right" Robert said, staring at his watch too "time flies" she mumbled before leaving as well. I finished eating and set the dishes into the sink "time for bed I guess" I told myself aloud and went upstairs, brushing my teeth and falling onto my bed. My thoughts went to Tae and what she might be doing now. Had she already entered their territory? Was she feeling tired? Had she eaten enough? What if someone caught her? An unreasonable amount of worry washed through me and made me turn from one side to the other on my bed. She's a strong warrior, stronger than anyone I know of, she'll be fine I thought, trying to convince myself She'll come back, she promised! That thought gave me peace of mind and I closed my droopy eyes she'll come back.