Revenge & Lust - 16

How could I have been this stupid? I didn't even care to check the others who had been standing around us, not caring if man or woman... I must have been too trained on the man with the scar that I did not take notice. I shivered, she will be dead by now. The wolves stood there too comfortably to have let anyone live. A whimper came through me. I felt the pain, even though we did not share a bond yet, I could feel such intense pain. I knew my mate was dead, I just knew.
Tears were flowing over as I heard whimpers that caught my attention "no, no" a tiny whisper reached my ears. "no, please, come on" I moved closer, looking through a gap between two wolves. Tae was sitting on the ground, she was cradling someone in her lap, a blanket hat been placed around him. Dark blond hair and fair skin... Tamail. "Baby" she whispered, her eyes overflowing with tears as she rocked back and forth.

It felt wrong to see her like this and an immense sting of jealousy made me unable to breathe for a while. "No, no, you're stronger than this" she whispered, lowering her head and kissed his temple through her fabric. Tears fell onto his skin, her body shaking with violent sobs. I didn't know why I was feeling like this, but a small part of my brain knew I should be searching for my mates' body. I couldn't move though, my eyes stayed on Tae as she kept whispering to the young man. She was stroking through his hair as she suddenly whipped her head up and stared at the black wolf in front of her. "WHAT?" she screeched, the hair on her head rising again like they had been before the fight. "Take him back safely" she ordered and lifted the body off of herself. A man shifted, not caring about his nakedness and crouched down to hold Tamail instead.

Taes' expression had totally changed, the tears were still running, but she was fuming. Her eyes swirled red and honey, she darted away in the direction of the pack. The wolves started howling and all but two followed her. Something told me to do so as well, so I did. I pushed myself to run as fast as I could, catching up to the other wolves, but Tae had darted through the trees too fast for anyone to follow. Before losing sight of her I had seen a metallic something flash in one of her hands.
We shot out of the forest just as the screaming started. People had scurried away, exposing Tae standing in front of Thomas. She had taken on a fighting stance, her back hunched and facing our way. Thomas had lifted his hand, a slightly mocking mimic on his face. "I don't see why you are blaming me... those pups decided to take on someone stronger than them, where is that my fault?" he said, his voice surprisingly calm for facing a fuming Tae.

"Traitor" she hissed, taking a step. Knives were swirling around both of her hands absently. Something seemed to change when Thomas' eyes widened, he started at Tae "you" he breathed "you're the..." his voice broke off "damn right" she said, her voice changed. The venom was back, hatred lacing every word. "And you took him from me" she added, the heartbreak making my own heart scatter all over again. My father suddenly stood next to me, shoving a pair of shorts into my chest "shift" he commanded and I did without thinking twice. The urgency in his voice made me listen carefully as I jumped into the shorts "you need to calm her, son" he said "quick". "What? ME? Why me? How?" I asked, confused. Dad didn't answer me, he had already turned around and was mind-linking the pack to evacuate immediately, lock all doors and stay inside.

People started moving away, glancing back at the scene, wondering what will happen. Dad stayed and tried to approach Tae "Taemilia" he whispered, his hands outstretched before him. Her head whipped around and I now understood why Thomas had changed his expression. Her eyes were blood red, glowing with a deep source of hatred. "Ruby" my dad said, "please let me..." "don't pull that shit again old man" Tae said, her voice the one of a different person. "you know better than anyone that I hate nothing more than TRAITORS" she screamed the last word and threw a knife which got stuck in Thomas' leg. He screamed and she laughed "that's right, scream in pain, I like it" she said, a crazy version of her coming to the surface. I felt fear creep up in me and I ordered those of my team who had stayed to leave now. My hoped fell as I saw the squat retreat as well. What could be happening that even those who had been training with her for three years were scared of?

Don't let her shift! You can do it dad yelled at me through mind-link. We're all dead if you don't he added. He was scared, I could feel as much and I started running "leave dad, the pack needs you alive" I called. He nodded at me and left to my utter surprise. I was about twenty meters away from her when she leaped at Thomas. He was screaming when she began digging her fingernails into the skin on his face "he's dead" she screamed, beginning to tear of pieces of his face. His screams of agony and pain filled the villages and overpowered my screams. Tae didn't notice me and even though I was scared, dad trusted in me and I couldn't let him down. I continued approaching, watching in horror as she tortured him. I was two metres away when she snapped his neck like a rotten stick. His body fell to the ground with a thud. I felt sick seeing him, nausea was building up, but I tried my best to supress it. I inhaled sharply when she whirled around to me, her crazy red eyes staring at me.

She was right in front of me in no time. I hadn't blinked, but she had still moved too fast for me to see. "Now look at you" she whispered, raising a bloody finger to my throat. I felt her sharp fingernail slightly slice open my skin as she moved just below my jaw "all brave wanna calm down the beast" she giggled, but it sounded like drowning. "So brave" she continued. I was frozen to my spot. I couldn't believe I thought I would die about half an hour ago just to be saved by her to now be killed by her. There was some irony to that.
I gulped and heard myself whisper "this is not you". Her eyes twinkled with amusement "and you know that because..." she said, enjoying the conversation.

I followed and impulse and wrapped my arms around her "because I know you" I whispered into her ear. "sure?" she asked and I felt her fingernails dig into my bare chest, blood began running down my skin. "I know you're not a monster, you're just sad" I continued, ignoring the pain as best as I could. "You've lost someone you've... loved" I choked out, my mouth wanting me to stop those words. "And that is hard, that hurts, but nothing can decrease that pain. No revenge, no working-out, no killing or beating people up. Not important how many people you hurt, your hurting will not stop" I told her, remembering losing my mum. "I get it, it's hard" "unbearable" she suddenly sobbed and her nails retrieved from within my skin. Her hands pulled back to be held in between us as I pulled her closer to me. She started sobbing, I felt her hot tears run down my chest and it felt like my heart started beating again. I lowered my chin onto her head and began slowly rocking her side to side "I'm here" I told her over and over again while she cried.